Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 and the 120 TTSX - suggestions?
 Login/Join

posted
I am having the devil of a time working up a load for my Sako 75. Sent it to Hill Country Rifles for accurizing and they sent it back saying it shot 120gr TTSX factory ammo at .542.
Have been loading H4350 from 42-45.5gr and trying different OALs and charging to NO avail. I don't know what kind of factory ammo they were shooting to get the results they did (and they couldn't remember when I called), but I am looking for any suggestions in load data.

My results are really inconsistent, and yes, everything is torqued to spec. It just came back from HCR., but it isn't shooting any differently, so I'm not doing something right.

One question I wanted to throw out there about Barnes seating depth, too: when you buy factory ammo with Barnes ammo, it's seated deep. None of the grooves are showing. We loaded it longer because Barnes says to jump it 5-7 thousandths, but if you load it like the factory stuff, it has to jump WAAYY more than that. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Barnes recommends the TSX to be loaded .050" (50 thousandths) off the lands. I've found that in my 7 Mag, 375 H&H and 6.5x284 that they're correct.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt should be able to tell you what he used. It is usually on the target they sent. Mine likes IMR 4064 with the 120s.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Have you tried different powders yet? I went thru about 6 different powders with my 204 ruger before I found one that is close to what I want for accuracy, but still working on the load.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad had a 75 sako in 6ppc and if it shot a half inch group it had a good day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a chance to check velocity or accuracy yet with the TTSX. Best combination of accuracy and velocity with the TSX was with varget, rem 9.5 primer, and 0.034" jump. As I remember I emailed Barnes to get the max powder load. (They list varget in the 3rd edition manual for the old non grooved 120gr bullet, but not in the 4th edition for the TSX.)I worked it up looking for pressure signs.

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote