New
Find
Notify
Tools

270wsm case length & Tips?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need hints/tips for the 270wsm,will the case stretch and need trimming after the first fireing of a factory case?Should the resized case measure 2.090 and if it doesnt... trim till it does?Is the old 7.6x53mm mauser case the same length as the 270wsm?
I just got my dies today and iam trying to set them up,all my cases /necks were long after full length sizeing and i will have to trim back alittle before loading them up and wondered if this was normal.My case length gauge has the 7.6x53mm mauser cartridge on it at 2.090 ...same measurement as my sierra manual gave for the 270wsm.Also maximum case length found on internet to be 2.10 is this correct?. Also my lee chamfer tool will not do the outside ream on the trim case,will a sharp knife work just as well?My local dealer didnt have much for 270wsm except the dies and shell holder,no lee trims or other toys.Iam going to try the 140 BTSP hornady first,will this bullet need crimping?Thanks in advance! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
first you can trim them all to a uniform length any where fron 2.090 up to 2.100" you need to trim only if they excede the max trim length after firing and resizing,.
DON'T confuse your self by comparing two totally diffrent cases. 7mm's are a diffrent criter.
debur after trimming inside and out.
If a knife is all you have, personally i would get a tool from RCBS.
you do not have to crimp. the 140 btsp is a good choice for a hunting bullet in the 270
i load mine to about 3100f/s out of a 26" barrel,
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave,My sierra manual is really weird to me.it starts off talking about the 270wsm but then changes to the saums and the 7mm saum.I think they need to rewrite that chapter,really got me confused...i got the cases done up- but your right- i will get a correct chamfer tool and i need a funnel that will work better.I did dremel my lee primer tool and got it to work allright and did find a ammo box that would work.The little fat rounds need there own toys to work right...I got about 20rounds done up and will try them shortly...Cant wait the rounds look good! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote