New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don G - Thanks for the 7x57 load info.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up my finished 7x57 from Trevor Proctor on Thursday morning. I'd previously loaded some of the 154gr Hornady RN with start loads of 44,45,46 and 47gr of VV N160 using RP brass and rem 91/2 primers(3 of each) with bullets scientificaly seated to the cannelure (OAL 3.0inches). After checking there were no rifling marks on the ogive I sighted in at 25yds with the 44s and 45s and then moved to 100. Adjusted sights with the 46s and shot a group off the wing mirror of the car with the 47s. Shots 10,11 and 12 from a new rifle went just under 7/8s (2 touching) and load development ceased! I loaded up some more and was out on Friday morning where I bagged 2 Roe bucks. One chest shot at 80 yards (straight over a hardly a kick) and one necked at 90 yards off a very good rest. The game dealer commented on how little damage there was to the chest shot one.
2 bucks less than 24 hours after recieving rifle - I hope this is going to continue!

Chronoed loads on Friday pm, temperatures in the 90's:-

47gr N160 gave 2550fps
48gr N160 gave 2600fps

I'll stick with the sweet shooting 47gr. Many thanks for your help.

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 07-30-2001).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post

I take it the rut has started where you are then?!

I was out calling on Thursday pm but could not bring a buck in.

The new rifle sounds great.

Regards

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I think I actually saw roe deer one morning last week in a creek bottom near Pately Bridge just SE of the Dales. At first I thought it was a pair of foxes, but they were browsing/grazing rather than hunting. They were too far off to be sure. If I ever go back to England (even on a business trip) I'm taking my binoculars!

I had one day to play tourist, I spent Sat. in the countryside. It was a beautiful place!

I had a venison shoulder at a pub. They couldn't tell me what it was, but it was small enough to be a roe deer.

Don

[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 07-30-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure the rut has started proper. The first buck was chasing a doe and another buck but the other buck wouldn't even open his eyes for any calling. Two days before I tried to call a doe I was watching but no joy. Have you got your SR21 yet?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote