New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Hand Press
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with the Lee hand press? I'm looking for a press that I can take to the range, with seating dies already set up to work up loads on the spot. If I had primed and prepped cases, a few bullets, and powder, I could use preloaded starting loads and as I approach max loads, load them on the spot. Then if I see pressure signs I can stop there and wouldn't have a bunch of loaded rounds to dismantle at home. Any thoughts?

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one and like it a lot. It will work fine for seating bullets at the range. I use mine to size, deprime, and expand pistol cases while watching TV. It's only downfall is it is not strong (rigid) enough to full length resize bottleneck rifle cases (in my opinion).

Posts: 34 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use one at the range to adjust seating depths when working with a new load. I know of a couple of other guys doing the same thing.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I use mine for. Taking resized & primed cases and weighing out charges and seating them at the range. I've done some full length sizing with the press and is does work.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted Hide Post
I have been using one for years for the whole job. I seldom ever use the bench mounted press.

Robin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob Helms' reply is right on target: The press lacks the leverage for FL resizing and I don't think it is as easy to use and transport (convenience is a major consideration) as a Lee Loader (if available in your caliber). Asssuming you're using the brass from the same rifle, try one as you can load some very accurate ammunition with it. The only things I would add are a Lee (or other brand) hand-held priming tool, possibly a different dipper that you've scale-tested (with a given powder) since those supplied with the Loader pretty much rule out over-charging your cartridges, and a nylon-faced mallet. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I would agree with RobinB as I use mine for everything and seldom use my bench mounted press. I full length resize eveything up to and including my .375RUM and have no problems. Great tool, I have two.

Joe

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the lee hand press for FL sizing all the time, I love it and it often is used instead of the rock chucker, the dillon or the Lyman turret press.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As an alternative for use at the range, you may want to try the Lee cheapy bench press. It is about the same price as the hand press. I take my screw gun and some drywall screws and screws it down at the range. (If you want to protect the property, screw it to your board and clamp it to their bench!) Works just swell. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was faced with that problem at the range and in hunting camp, so made my set about 15 years ago. It is in a box 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches. Neck size only, but has everything needed including a case trimer.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Balance beam was a little hard to get just right. The first model was too long and it was very difficult to use in the wind, so moved inside the truck. Filing out the weights was a little time consuming.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about picking up a Lee Hand Loader for just this type of use- seating bullets when away from my shop- but can't find any information on the max. size cartridges it will handle.

Will it handle H&H length rounds?