THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Need new bullets for deer season--suggestions?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need new bullets for deer season--suggestions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
As a Nosler fan, I'd suggest some of their Accubond or combined technolgy bullets. but then again I've always liked Partitions! Driven within their design parameters they just do, what they say they will do, every time!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I'm about to order some new bullets for deer season. Right now I only have Sierra GameKing Spitzer boat tails. I'm using both for my .270 and my .300 WM. Before I order more, do you have any suggestions based on what works for you? I like great accuracy at longer distances as well as something that will mushroom nicely for deer in the 190-220 lb. range. I've used Nosler Partions in the past but found that they seemed to "pierce" whitetails rather that mushroom. They work great on elk, but I have my doubts on deer. In Africa I've used Swift A-Frames but wouldn't use them here. Same with TBBC's. I've had good luck with Ballistic Silvertips when using factory ammo. But now that I'm reloading and have a wider array of choices, what should I select?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Its only a deer. Use whatever "hunting" bullet shoots best in your rifle. I use heavy for caliber ballistic tips for deer.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd try the accubonds in both the calibers you mentioned. I think the accubond is an excellent bullet. That said, my 300WM likes the big sierras and the partitions the best as far as accuracy goes, but many, many people say some of their best accuracy and terminal performance came from the accubonds. Try RL22 with the 180 grain 30 cal ABs and RL22, H4831SC, and AA3100 with the 140 grain ABs for the 270.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I like the NP, just drop a bullet weight for deer, 130/270 or 150-165/.300. I also like the new Nosler AB, exc. accuracy & the bullet expands well w/o coming completely apart.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to use 160 grain Nosler Acurbonds this year in a 7mm Rem. Mag. I have started developing a load and so far 3 different powders have produced 3 shot groups under 1 inch out 100 yards. I need to chronograph each before I decide. These bullets seem to have the accuracey of the Nosler Ballistic tip only a little tougher.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Spring,

Contrary to what some think, You just cant go wrong w/ a Nosler Ballistic Tip for Whitetail deer.

If you had good results w/ the Ball. Slivertips, you want accuracy, and a great mushroom, I have three words: NOSLER BALLISTIC TIP!

Some folks don't like em' and it becomes a Ford vs. Chevy debate but, I along w/ countless others have found the NBTs to be "The Bullet" for whitetails.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Spring:

My go-to bullet for the .270 is the 140-gr. Hornady InterLock. For deer (and then some), this one fits the bill. Easy on the wallet, too.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think if yo are getting good groups with the sierra I would stay with it, in the .270 anyway, in the 3300 win might go for somthing like a lighter weight Partition, I bet a 150 grain partition driven at 300 mag velocity wouldmushroom nicly at most any range...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
It has been said in this thread and I concurr: you don't need a premium bullet. I've seen southern white tails even bigger than 200 lbs. It seems you have an aversion to bullets punching thru. OK. If you are looking to dump a king size amount of the energy on the inside of the deer keep the velocity up and use the following:

.270 Win. Hornady 130 gr. #2730 or #27302

.300 Mag. Hornady 150gr. Inter Bond #30309

These are but a few.

There are a plethora** of std. construction non premium bullets out there that will do the job on white tails, and have for a whole bunch of years. Now if the real Barnes original constuction was still around I tell you to use that. I think Fred had it right.

** I like that word since first I heard it in the movie Three Amigos. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If partitions are going thru your game without mushrooming, try to back off your velocity some. Georgia deer are no bigger than Black Tail here, so one does not need much to down them with proper shot placement.

If you want more mushroom action, go to the ballistic tip.

The Sierras you have would seem just fine to me. You don't need a premium bullet in those two calibers for a 100 pound deer.

Good luck with your choice,
cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I've used Nosler Partions in the past but found that they seemed to "pierce" whitetails rather that mushroom. They work great on elk, but I have my doubts on deer.

I assume your conclusion is based upon the examination of some Nosler partition bullets recovered from deer that failed to expand?? I rather doubt it, because I have only recovered one Nosler Partition bullet from a deer, and it was fully expanded. The front core was gone, and the front portion of the jacket was nicely folded back along the bullet shank, and expanded diameter was about 2.5X larger than the original caliber.

However, IF you based your conclusions on examination of the size of the exit hole, that is very misleading when it comes to the Partition bullet! The Partiton bullet is designed to expand violently after initial penetration, to the extent that the front core can be completely blown away, yet the small-diameter rear portion usually exits the far side of the critter, leaving a small, often less than caliber-size, exit wound. The evaluation of the performance of the Nosler Partition bullet is better based on the amount of damage done to the vital organs as the bullet passes through, rather than the size of the hole it leaves in the off-side skin!

The front end of the Nosler Partition bullet is in fact made so frangible that it will expand reliably at extended ranges at velocities so low that standard bullets usually fail to open up at all. Yet the Partition's rear half is so tough that it will withstand impacts at velocities which make standard bullets blow up on the surface. In fact, the Partition bullet gives you the best of both worlds as far as terminal performance is concerned. In this day and age, there are a lot of great premium bullets; yet none are truly any better than John Nosler's original design, regardless of what North American animal you intend to shoot!

But, I also agree with the previous posters who say a premium bullet is not necessary for deer! For whitetail hunting, I have had great results with the .308" 165-grain Sierra HPBT in a .308 Winchester.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
.284" 154 grain Hornady Interbond at 2950 fps.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
For deer(mule deer), i have mostly used 150gr. sierra boat tails(federal premium factory loads)in 7mm mag. i cant remember having to shoot more than once. although a couple of times they made it a coupple hundred before dropping. I also shot an elk with them. 2 shots and he dropped where he was first hit.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Nothing else to post here, as many have pointed out most any bullet in these calibers will kill deer reliably. I would just use what shoots most accurately, no bullet design ever comes close to the confidence of knowing that it is going to be hitting exactly where the crosshairs are at.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spring, I just can't get into buying high dollar bullets to kill deer with. Hit properly, they are an easy animal to kill...unless they are pumped full of adrenalin and in panic mode. Then you may have trouble killing one even with a chain saw.

The regular 150 gr "garden variety bullet" for the 270 will kill any deer that ever lived and do it with authority if you do your part. For the 300 Mag, the 165 or 180 gr is all you would ever need.

Over the counter Hornady or Speer soft points would be all in the world needed. But you can spend more if you like.

I think premium or special bullets have a place. Deer just isn't one of them. I've seen too many drop in their tracks from 222s and even 38 Specials.

JMHO

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
eldeguello ! Nice posting. Done well. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've been fortunate to have harvested a bunch of southern deer, and 99% were with a 270 and a 150 ballistic tip. Even at very close range..less than 10 yards. Never ever had a problem. I have over 4500 ballistic tips on my reloading bench right now, in many calibers. It is my favorite whitetail bullet.

I've also seen deer killed with the following with great success:
core lokt
scirocco
sst
interbond
sierra
speer
regular hornady

you cannot go wrong with any. Nuf said.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The have very little in common, silvertips are winchesters "tougher" bullet over their power points and the Ballistic tips are noslers "less tough bullet" under other designes,,,,the 120 7mm seems to be tougher than other versions though from post I have read......

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PPosey: I believe that Spring mentioned the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, which is the same as the Nosler Ballistic Tip (with a coating). You are correct that the older (plain ol') Winchester Silvertip is an entirely different bullet.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Asooooooo Grasshopper

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Why, thank you Sir, for the kind words!

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Firstshot,
Yes, I've loaded and shot some of my GameKings and have been pleased with them. So far I've been getting 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I haven't tried them at 200. After shooting quite a few of them I know I'll need to reorder some bullets soon. Before I do, however, I wanted to see if there was anything else I should seriously consider. With the great comments about the Nosler Ballistic Tips, it surely sounds like I should shoot a few of them as well before the season starts. I've shot a lot of the factory Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in the past and really liked them. How similar are the Noslers to them?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Spring......"I'm about to order some new bullets for deer season. Right now I only have Sierra GameKing Spitzer boat tails."............."But now that I'm reloading and have a wider array of choices, what should I select?"

Have you reloaded with the GK SPBT's yet? If not, start with them!

I've just started reloading as well (for 30-06), and like you said, the array of bullet choices are simply mind boggling. I've only tried a few different bullets so far, but as it currently stands, nothing is coming even close to the accuracy of the Sierra GameKing Spitzer Boat Tails. I'm still tweaking, but my latest loads averaged .58"CTC @ 100Yds (And thats with a Browning BAR)

I'm still trying other bullets......That's the fun of reloading! But so far, it looks like the GK SPBT's are going to be my "go to" load for this season.

firstshot

Posts: 26 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just stumbled onto this site with some info on hornadys SST bullet, down on the bottom of the page he talks about on game performance

http://www.clcweb.net/Shooting/Tactical_Shooting/Remington_M700_LTR/remington_m700_ltr.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as a GameKing is heavy enough to penetrate on deep shots it's only downside that I have experianced is that a few did not expand much on lung hits when the ribs were missed.

In general all the deer died but not as quick as might have been.

So as to have deep penetration and also easy expansion it seems that premium bullets are a safer bet for ordinary calibers. As others have stated they are really not all that necessary for deer however.

I would buy a bunch of bullets and load them all up now and do some testing on targets. If the GameKing ended up being the best shooter by far I would hunt with one again.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent results over the years with Remingtons Core Lokt bullets and Speer's Grand Slam as well. I don't seem to give up much in the way of accuracy. Have you tried Sierra's Game King bullets? The ones I've used have been quite accurate. Give it some more thought and make a good decision. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The SST is really no different than CT's - BT or NBT, hornady claim that the interlock ring makes it tougher but my own experience shows no real difference than that produced from the NBT. Another excellent choice IMHO for the likes of deer or lopes but if your looking for a tougher ballistic tip bullet for some reason this ain't the answer. Accuracy usually rules the roast when it comes to what bullet you chuck down the pipe the SST and NBT are often too close to call in my development so I have switched between them in the past and received similar results in most cases with each offering. For whatever reason the CT Silver BT's have produced the worst accuracy in my .284 thus never used them but did in .277 and .308 previous with again similar results to NBT.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NBT is my choice for deer and been used in number of calibers with great results. Accuracy and great for med-long distance shots, however I have taken deer well under 100 yards as well - like someone else for deer 3 words - Nosler Ballistic Tip!

That being said literally a ton of offerings that will work of deer sized game just need to find the right mix for you and your rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I didn't know that blacktails got up to 200# + on a regular basis. Georgia deer in the Piedmont reigion do so on a regular basis... biggest I've seen was 242# field weight(12 pt.) but I heard of one over 260# a couple of years back. I haven't shot a 100# deer in Georgia in 20 years of trying, most run in the 140-190 range where I hunt. Not that is matters that much, you don't need a premium bullet to kill deer with any reasonable deer cartridge.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote