Notify
Tools

What the hell is a 22 cheetah?
 Login/Join

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Lets see now, I'll use some members logic here Is it a 22-08 or
is it a 22 Improved or
is it a 22-308 with an improved shoulder. Now tell me that all you reloaders knew that the 22 cheetah was based on a 308 cartridge that was based on a improved 22 shoulder. Yep, I though so. Some of you guy had better stay away from guns or at least giving advice on them. Jim

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The 22 CHeetah is the .308 Bench Rest case necked down to 22 caliber, but with the shoulder moved forward so that there is only a neck length of .224-inches.

That is the way Jim Carmichel and Fred Huntington designed it...(take a look at the first two letters of the name, then take a look at the first two letters of the fabricators' names...the "CH" should always be in uppercase!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do believe Mr Lawrence is in a snit.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
There are two versions. The Mach one(40 degree shoulder) and Mach two(28 degree shoulder).

A major focal point of the case,was in the use of Remington 308BR brass. It incorporated the smaller primer pocket,which was thought to increase accuracy potential. So that is the "right" way to go about making CHeetah cases.

I've made all my cases from 243 brass,in the "wrong" manner.

So call it what you want,but typical of most Wildcats,you can get to the finished product by more than one route.

The CHeetah is a neat looking case,but there are easier ways to go. The 22-250Ackley,will nearly equal it in performance. The 243Ackley is much more versatile and the list goes on.

I haven't shot mine,in quite a while............

<Kerry.S>
posted
Well if you want to get picky about the parent case then Mr. Lawrence you are very wrong. All cases that have a head diameter of .473" or 12mm as Mr. Paul Mauser had originally designed are based on the 7X57mm then the later 8x57. When Roosevelt almost got his butt kicked in Cuba we took several rifles home with us. Now most of you know that we so closely copied the 98 mauser in the form of the 03 Springfield that we had to pay Paul Mauser royalties, but did you also know that we copied the cartridge.
We made it a little bigger and a little longer (you know bigger is better, well some times) and out came the .30-06 then in the 50's we started developing higher pressure cartridges. The 7.62x51mm is a high pressure .30-06.
so to say that the CHeetah is based on a .308 is not exactly correct, They may have used the brass to develop the cartridge but it is based on a 7x57.

Kerry

[This message has been edited by Kerry.S (edited 12-09-2001).]

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Nope, I had no clue as to what the parent case would be.

But then again...

I'm not in the process of building one for my son.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Again I say "I'm sorry." I just had a bad day. Maybe Mr. Lawrence is just a snit once in a while. I like to believe that. In any case I apologize to all of you for my rude behavior. I was crude and rude and I'll take my lashes. I would welcome another chance though I probably don't deserve one. Maybe I will be able to help someone with something one day. I hope so. Again I am sorry for my behavior yesterday. I wish I could take it back but I can't. But, I can help someone should you ask. Thanks for your time, Jim Lawrence

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Jim-

Your name is familiar... from another forum somewhere maybe?

[This message has been edited by Gary Rihn (edited 12-10-2001).]

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kerry.S:
Well if you want to get picky about the parent case then Mr. Lawrence you are very wrong. All cases that have a head diameter of .473" or 12mm as Mr. Paul Mauser had originally designed are based on the 7X57mm then the later 8x57.

Alright, my turn to get "picky" ...the 8x57 dates back to 1888, while the 7x57 trails it by four years, being introduced in 1892.

So, there.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Oh hell! Let's get really picky!

The .30-03 predated the .30-06 by three years, and IT is the "original" case...grin....

And since the .22 CHeetah is a design of Mr. C. and Mr. H., their design is the only design for this cartridge. Anything else is a "knock-off". (They used the .308 Remington Bench Rest case (with small primer).

[This message has been edited by ricciardelli (edited 12-10-2001).]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Without a doubt,the thrust of the design concept,was to use the 308BR brass.

That being said,all points thus far mentioned,are of merit. Pretty hard,to reinvent the wheel.

That is the fun part of Wildcatting. Many options to consider and weigh,before one finishes a project. As I mentioned before,there are often numerous ways,to reach the finish line.

The CHeetah is vastly different than most,because of that special BR brass. There is no other case,that replicates that small primer pocket and is suitable for forming into the CHeetah cartridge design.

She's a novelty of sorts...............

<Boltgun>
posted
Jim,
Get a book called "Wildcat Cartridges" from Wolfe Publishing. Probably one of the best resource books around. Apology accepted.
Todd

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
Oh hell! Let's get really picky!

The .30-03 predated the .30-06 by three years, and IT is the "original" case...grin....

OK, one more time...the 8x57mm was introduced in 1888. Thus, beating the .30-03 by a good 15 years.

In summary, ANYTHING with a 0.473" case head is ultimately a derivative of the 8x57.

Man, this "picky" stuff is pretty fun.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Kerry.S>
posted
I stand corrected.
And you are right .437" is the base head size for all common cartridges.
Kerry

posted Hide Post
All these years I thought Rick Jamison was the creator of the "Cheeta". I recall his writng about it and a new rifle he had made up for it. Guess I took it for granted it was his idea! Live & Learn ...

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, is everybody in a snit?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Beemanbeme,
Was my post "snitty"? It what way?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,
Your post was not one iota snitty in any way!
I did not know who invented the 22 CHeetah. Interesting little cartridge and name. I have pretty much ignored the little stuff...saving it for my old age! Even if Jim Lawrence is acting like an ET, he brought a little to the forum after all.

------------------
RAB

[This message has been edited by DaggaRon (edited 12-12-2001).]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out his two others topics...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I built a .22 CHeetah MkI about a year ago. Still trying to find time to work on load data. It is a kick to shoot. I have the book mentioned on this post already. Anyone out there have any additional "pet" loads? There are pics of the rifle on my website.

http://www.icehouse.net/bsoverns

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,
Welcome to the "Forum"! Nice looking website you've constructed there and beautiful woodwork. The MK 1 is the version with a 40 degree shoulder? I did recall some earlier versions based on the .243 case but I had forgotten all about Carmicals' later involvement utilizing the .308 BR case with the smaller primer. Guess I'm getting old, as all that came to mind was the Jamison rifle article from the early 80's. Sure looks like a super round, getting an easy 4000 with the 55 grain bullets is about all anyone could need in a .224 Varmint rig. Have you any other photos of your work on sporters?
I'd very much enjoy viewing them.

Regards ... Nick

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello: My name is jim and I wrote the thread that started this. I was having a very bad day. To those that I bothered I am very sorry. If there was something else I could do to make things right I would do it. If you want to jab at me some more that's fine. I suppose I asked for it. I do wish you all a great holiday season. Keep safe and have a Merry Christmas, Jim Lawrence

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Nick - Correct. The MKI is the 40 degree shoulder version. I made my brass with the .308 BR Remmy brass. Made a 100 rounds all at once. Took 4 days. ugh... I dont have any pics other than the ones up on the site. I take it you are looking for pictures of the work in various stages? I will get to that one of these days.

Jim - no apoligies neccessary. I didnt think you were that grumpy in the first place. Happy Holidays.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote