Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favorite 7 mm 08 Load
 Login/Join

posted
I just aquired an HS Precision Pro Series 2000 in 7mm 08. This is my first gun in this caliber. It's primary use will be whitetail hunting. What are your favorite loads for that use?

Thanks

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Run a search and you`ll find everything works in a 708, it`s been worked to death.

I personally use a 139gr Hornady SP over Varget with a Remington 9 1/2 primer in Winchester cases.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
140gr NP w/H4895.
Since moving to WV, I've tried using the Hornady 154gr ROUND NOSED bullet. It will smooth roll a deer.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Best loads are very often speific to a rifle. I have three 7mm-08 jsut now, and none of them lik ethe same load. One of these loads shoots about 0.75 MOA in one rifle and about 4MOA in another.

I'd start with a good accurate bullet like the 140 Ballistic tip, 139 SST, 140 Accubond, or the 130 Speer. Try powders like Re15 and Varget and you should be able to work up a pretty good load for your new rifle...

one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I use a slightly faster powder than most since I load for an 18" barrel. Most accurate and consistent load for me has been: Rem brass, Fed 210M, 140 Nosler BT, 40.2 gr IMR3031. S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Capphd,

I stumbled upon a heck of a load for the 7/08, as suggested by a friend of mine. I used to use H335 and 760 and had great results with 140 grain bullets. However, 41.0 grains of 4064 with a 140 grain bullet has simply astounded me with its accuracy in many different guns...I have a Carolina Precision Rifles 7/08 that will shoot one hole groups all day long (.150 average three shot groups) with that load. No kidding. This is not the first rifle to do that with that load....all my buddies that shoot that caliber have similar results.

Not a max load, but with an Accubond bullet, its dynamite on deer.

Take it easy.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
39.5grs. Varget and CCI primers under 150NBTs put 5 shots under 1/2", first 3 shots will be in the same hole for the most part. Same amount of H4895 is pretty much the same, accurate!

Same thing with 39grs. RE15 and 150MKs.

Medium rate burning powders seem to work best from my testing, 760 sucked out of my 700, though it was wearing the factory tupperware stock then, now equipped with an H-S sporter stock. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest H4350. It will be just slightly compressed with flat based bullets at max charge weights. Use a drop tube and it helps. A friend and I use a 48 gr charge behind 140 gr sierra prohunters. Devastating on deer. I am also about to start testing Ramshot Big Game for 7-08 and 22-250.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant to mention that accuracy is around 1/2" three shot groups at 100 yards with both of our rifles using the above load.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
just giving you an option:

i know most people like the 140's but you might also try some 120's. i have had excellent results with the nosler b/t. my load is 46grns bl(c)2 w/120 for a chronographed velocity of 2995'.
killed a deer last week at 190yds and deer never kicked, i mean dead before he hit the ground. just an option

good luck
bounty hunter

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget or H4350 using 139SSTs or 140BTs, whichever shoots best. The SSTs are cheaper and a little tougher IMHO. I hunt small deer and hogs and use 150 Partitions in my 7x57 and am considering try them in my 7-08. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote