Find
Notify
Tools

Neck Sizing die brands?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted
For those who have used the various brands, would you give the edge on quality to Hornady, RCBS or Redding. I am thinking about adding a neck sizing die to my took kit for 30-06.

Thanks

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the new forster neck bump die. I think I am going to get a Forster.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the well known brands are excellent quality and work as they are designed to.

Personally I like the Redding as you can change the bushing in 1 thou steps to get exactly the neck size you want.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have necksizing dies for all the calibers I reload, but for the ones I do necksize I use Redding.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
IMO, I would pay twice as much for a Lee Collet Neck Sizer than any of the others. No lube in the neck and no runout.

Just good luck that they only cost 1/2 as much or less!! clap

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a short fat neck bushing die such as the Redding Type S in .308. It will neck size many different cartridges with just a bushing change.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Lee Hands down! As said above even if twice the price, but in reality it is only half the price!

If you can't live with a Lee, then definitely Redding!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Lee Collet Die also. What's not to like with no lube and zero runout?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are basically two neck sizing dies worth getting: Lee Collet die (cheap) or a Redding Competition Neck Sizer (expensive). All the rest are pretty much junk, as they dont support the case during the sizing operation and therefore tend to produce a lot of runout.

The Collet die is a surprisingly economical die and produces good results. Do a search here to establish its idiosynchracies, though. They have been described in great length. I'd still get the Collet if I were you, though.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I will look into the Lee collet die and the Redding.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wilson.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF you want to turn your necks to a consistant thickness, use the Redding button neck sizer.

IF you don't want to turn necks, use the Lee. IT don't care if the necks are thick or thin or variable, it just sizes the insides to a consistant diameter and keeps them straight too.

I don't much like to turn necks more than just a little, especially for factory rifles.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
use the Lee. IT don't care if the necks are thick or thin or variable

Actually with the 6mm REM, the Lee collet die does not work well with thinner Winchester brass but works fine with Remington brass.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote