Notify
Tools

Re: How do I figure out pressures?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

Quote:

What would you use to "Calibrate" a HSGS with?

Like I said, you suggest using factory ammo as the 'standard' to calibrate/verify your results. The same technique works with a strain gauge system.

Hey CDH, We appear to have a basic misunderstanding of Calibration. Calibration is done to a "known Standard" only. When using Factory Ammo in a "totally wrong" attempt to Calibrate a HSGS, you don't know what the Pressure actually is inside the Factory Ammo. With the HSGS, knowing what that actual Pressure is would allow you to compare it to the data the Pressure HSGS inidcates. But, since that is not available to folks at home, a HSGS can't be Calibrated.

The 0.0001" capable Micrometers are not "Calibrated" by using the Factory Ammo. You only use them on the Ammo, once the Micrometers are actually "Calibrated".

The BIGGEST problem as I see is when using the PRE Method, no one ever "claims" a specific Load is 56,479psi, where a HSGS user loves to post such data. It gives the HSGS user False Pride in thinking his data is so accurate that he can quote it as such. By doing so, the person with the HSGS totally misleads a Beginner into thinking that since that Load is below 58Kpsi and he happens to know 58Kpsi is the SAAMI MAX for that cartridge then, it has to be SAFE in the Beginners rifle too.

In addition, the HSGS user is "implying accuracy" at the 1s, 10s, 100s, and 1,000s level that just does not exist. They most certainly are not that accurate.

A couple of things are wrong. First the HSGS is set-up without knowing the proper chamber thickness, and your quote from another post addressed that properly below. Second, the HSGS is not calibrated to a "known pressure", therefore any pressure data the HSGS gives is pure speculation and totally misleading. A HSGS should never have it's data quoted in any context as being useful to the general public because of this.

However, with PRE, you do a comparison to a Standard established by a factory. Actually knowing what the Pressure is within the Factory load is of no consequence. And of course, you will never see a person that uses the excellent PRE Method post a Load and "mislead a Beginner" by saying it is operating at xx,xxxpsi.

Quote:

It does not matter how badly you measure the chamber wall dimensions...forget for a moment the actual numbers the SG system gives and just empirically compare the curves with factory ammo, if your 'test' rounds give lower peaks, you can trust with high confidence that your ammo has a lower peak pressure!

Here is a quote(from you) that seems to be very appropriate to your above response:
Quote:

... the system accuracy can never be better than the worst input variable? Sort of the garbage-in==garbage-out theory?

I seriously doubt we will be able to continue the discussion based on your saying, "It does not matter how badly you measure the chamber wall dimensions." in this situation when you realize, "the system accuracy can never be better than the worst input variable? Sort of the garbage-in==garbage-out theory?"

For those of you just reading this "discussion", CDH has just explained real well why having a critical dimensional measurement from the Chamber Wall Thickness is important to getting the entire HSGS internal mathmatical models receiving good accurate information.

The Chamber Wall Thickness just can't be measured "accurately" at home with standard measuring devices. Guessing at the dimensions provides "garbage-in and you get garbage-out".

---

Quote:

bring out a few people who just can't talk about things in a civilized manner

Strikes me as a singularly poor motivation to post.

Hey CDH, Always nice to be able to agree on something.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since there is no such thing as an NIST standard pressure, how does SAAMI standard pressure ammo get calibrated? There is no standard pressure artifact for SAAMI to directly compare with.

Is SAAMI standard ammo uncalibrated then, as Hot Core says it must be? No. It's calibrated.

Actually, what they do is follow the same procedure I have outlined, from NIST. Force on the rod is cartridge pressure times piston area. The induced charge on a piezoelectric crystal is proportional to force exerted by the rod. Voltage, in turn, is proportional to charge if C is fixed and leakage is small. Voltage is amplified, and either the curve is displayed, or the peak voltage is captured. So, for a batch of ammo, we have peak preassure as a function of piston area, crystal sensitivity, and amplifier gain. From that, we calibrate the batch of ammo. The function, and the input variables are different, but the process is identical with the process for calibrating a strain gage.

And, while you're at it Hot Core, show us your EE isn't a complete fabrication. Answer the questions. Some of them are repeats from another time you were exposed for claiming a phoney credential. If you had paid attention then, you'd have half the answers this time. At least show us that you actually know what a strain gage looks like.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The Chamber Wall Thickness just can't be measured "accurately" at home with standard measuring devices.

There is no reason to need dimensions to more than three digit accuracy. You only need an ID and OD at a single point, anywhere about halfway down the casing. Hot Core says you have to measure a "double ogive", which is absurdly wrong. Hot Core obviously doesn't have the faintest idea how strain gages are actually used.

My 7 year old granddaughter can get three good digits with $25 digital calipers. If she can do it, there is hope for you, Hot Core.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Somehow I know I shouldn't have opened my big mouth...

Denton, how about a quick run of the error calculation in the SG system pressure calcs. Say someone can't hit the same point on the outside of the chamber that they are measuring on the inside and gets an error of +- half the last sig. digit (the 'ol standard error of a measuring device assumption), and the device happens to be a pair of dial vernier calipers (on my desk) with marks in increments of .001". So that makes me capable of getting numbers within .0005" due to measurement uncertainty, and add .001 for user error. +- .0015"...sound reasonable for an 'amateur do it yourselfer'?

HC, gonna have to disagree with you. If PRE/CHE can compare to factory ammo, so can HSGS. I've never claimed it gives accurate numbers to the n'th digit, just that I see it as being much more ***repeatable and sensitive***. My own experiments with PRE showed massive random variation, and that is NOT a good system. And yes, after more time that I care to remember working in a trace metals lab (uranium mine-paid for college in that job not fun!), I know how to make accurate measurements and work with controlled experiments.

Read the posts again...you aren't convincing because the physics are against you. PRE/CHE works...sort of...but it isn't the VERY BEST...just another possibly useful but hard to use tool.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

I've no doubt that you have had good success with the PRE method you recomended. However, your attempts to denounce pressure readings calculated from strain gauge measurements are almost comical. You essentially admitted they are as useful as PRE in your last post (for relative pressure measurements........not absolute)

You recommend a system that requires an accurate measurement down to 1/10,000 of an inch (not easy) and denounce a system where mismeasuring by 0.001" has little affect on the accuracy of the pressure reading as the error is less than 1%. If you are a double E, do the math.

If the individual doen't have the proper tools to measure the chamber ID, it's a 1 time trip to have this done. What is so difficult about that?

Another issue: factory ammo is not always safe.......an example is some factory Weatherby loads. I've shot factory loads from Winchester for a 270 Win that blew primers. How would this mislead a beginner using PRE? (remember beginners are the guys that stuff over book max loads into cases and believe chronograph readings at half what they should be) Couldn't this same "beginner" then use the PRE method to load all his loads to the point they blow primers based off "safe" loads from PRE measurements?

An idiot is an idiot. An idiot can abuse/misuse any method. If traditional pressure signs are noted, one has to question his tools and methods: are my batteries good, is my micrometer calibrated, am I using the micrometer properly, etc. Point is that I would trust the Pressure Trace reading over the PRE for identyfing a hot load.

I've no problems believing the Pressure Trace is accurate to the nearest 1,000 psi. A guy that posts over on 24hourcampfire has done a lot of work with strain gauge measurements. (See his website here: OK Shooter )

He has ran them side by side with piezo systems and has verified their accuracy. I've no reason to doubt him.

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CDH...

The strain gage calculations simplify down to a constant times the ratio of ID to OD.

If your OD is truly 1.200", and your ID is truly .400", and you did the absolute worst case things, you could get a ratio as large as 3.0151 or as small as 2.9851. The delta is almost exactly 1%. That is the maximum possible possible output error that could be induced by the measurement errors you stated... about plus or minus 300 PSI for most rifle loads.