THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22" Barrel Max Book Loads in 26" Barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Both the Nosler 5th and the Sierra 5th show 45/70 loads for a Marlin with a 22" barrel. Now I know you back off 10% from max and then work up, and every rifle is different, but in general would the max loads for a 22" barrel be safe in a 26" barrel or would you be generating more pressure in the 26" barrel?

I don't have a big bore "YET", but am looking at getting either a 1895 LTD V with a 24" barrel or converting a 1895 to a Cowboy 26" barrel. I will definitely be handloading for whichever I wind up with and I just want to be safe and not blow myself up!

firstshot
--------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The longer barrel will not generate more pressure. The peak pressure is generated only a very short distance from the chamber, after which the pressure drops as the bullet moves down the barrel. If the powder burns "slow" enough, the longer barrel will generate more velocity because it can utilize more of the pressure. But, the peak pressure will not change, all things else being equal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

Thanks for the explination. I really appreciate it!!!

firstshot
----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The only difference is if you chrograph the loads, you'll likely find the 26" barrel to be getting a muzzle velocity approximately 100 fps faster than the loads in the 22" barrel.

Other than that, peak pressure is generated in about the first inch the bullet travels down the barrel, and keeps dropping until the bullet exits the barrel and pressure drops to zero.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote