New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4451
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was in Cabelas today and noted what was a new IMR powder (at least to me). Noted be be extremely temperature stable. Looks like IMR may be going the Hodgdon route which is good! looks like they may be one in the same now. They also mention this offering has copper cleaning capabilities.
I tend to carry a 243 around with me quite a bit as it will easily dispatch anything in the general area I live (Texas). Including BIG pigs;they are relatively easy to kill…
I am going to load some 95 NP's up and see if they will really get 3140 FPS (across my Oehler 35) as stated in the IMR nomenclature.
Will be a nice flat shooting load from varmints to deer and pigs.
Anyone tried out this IMR 4451 offering?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No but I have seen it; I am not happy with all the new powders being introduced when the old standbys that work well for me are still so hard to get. I tend not to try new things. There is only so much production capacity so something has to be delayed.

Posts: 17265 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the past 6 weeks we have seen a significant increase in availability of powders and primers. Now projectiles, especially Nosler seem in short supply.
I can find about any powder I have tried to find with little effort expect accurate 2230.
Prices seem to have increased 25-30% though.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an 8 lbs keg of IMR 7977, which is another powder in the Enduron stable.
My hope is it will work well in my 7 mm Rem mag and my 280 AI.
Time will tell.

Yes, I too have seen an increase in availability of all sorts of reloading components. The manufacturers are loving the "shortage" because they now get much more money for the same product.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
In the past 6 weeks we have seen a significant increase in availability of powders and primers. Now projectiles, especially Nosler seem in short supply.
I can find about any powder I have tried to find with little effort expect accurate 2230.
Prices seem to have increased 25-30% though.

Clint,
If you need some A-2230...I have some and owe you a jar anyway.

PM, call, text, or e-mail me if you need some.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37743 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
I ran across some IMR 4451 and since I like to try new stuff, I grabbed a pound at my LGS. I tried some in my 270 WSM. With Hodgdon's online data, I got some of the higher velocities with 140 gr Partitions that I have gotten without resorting to powders like Magpro. With the great velocities (3240 fps), I have gotten the best groups ever. It worked so good for my 270 WSM that I trotted back down to my LGS and snagged the last 8 lb keg they had of 4451. I will be set for a while to come for my 270 WSM. I haven't tried it yet in my 300 WSM or my 270 Win but I am going to soon.
Unfortunately, as has been alluded to, bullets are spotty to find now. Nosler 270 cal 140 gr Partitions are nonexistent in my area. I'm conserving the 3 boxes I have.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by br6ppc1:
I ran across some IMR 4451 and since I like to try new stuff, I grabbed a pound at my LGS. I tried some in my 270 WSM. With Hodgdon's online data, I got some of the higher velocities with 140 gr Partitions that I have gotten without resorting to powders like Magpro. With the great velocities (3240 fps), I have gotten the best groups ever. It worked so good for my 270 WSM that I trotted back down to my LGS and snagged the last 8 lb keg they had of 4451. I will be set for a while to come for my 270 WSM. I haven't tried it yet in my 300 WSM or my 270 Win but I am going to soon.
Unfortunately, as has been alluded to, bullets are spotty to find now. Nosler 270 cal 140 gr Partitions are nonexistent in my area. I'm conserving the 3 boxes I have.

Thank you, BenchRest, and keep up the reports on this powder.

I picked up three pounds of the stuff based on the advertising and hope to get to test it in October. I'm guessing that it should work pretty well in 243W, 270W, and 416Rigby, maybe 375Ruger, too, at least with heavier bullets. Hopefully, it will be similar to Reloder17 in velocity and loading quality. We'll see.

PS on bullets:
This might be a good time to try out some of the special monometal bullets. GSC .277" 110gn HV looks especially nice. The hollow-point and driving band technology has resulted in increased accuracy for several users. See the FAQs and articles at GSCustomusa.com. They also have a 69grain .243" big-game hunting bullet. I wouldn't choose that for elk, but it appears more than adequate for deer.
And for a Partition substitute in .277" you might try http://powdervalleyinc.com/ for Swift A-frames in .277". They are in-stock and prices are good. Also 150gn NosPart. MidSouthShootersSupply has both Nosler 130 Part's and 150 in stock, for a couple dollars more. Midway has .277" 130gn Partitions and 150gn, on sale ($29-30/box)! The Barnes 110gn TTSX is in stock, too, so I would read the reviews on that bullet. Quite something to try out if the money on the GSC 110gn seems excessive. Things are looking up.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.