THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .270 Sciroccos...Just another plastic tipped bullet?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Sciroccos...Just another plastic tipped bullet?
 Login/Join

<powderfinger>
posted
I shoot a .270 Win and have tried alot of different bullets on whitetails. Half the fun of hunting is trying new components. I was going to try the Sciroccos this year but the experiences I have had with the other plastic tipped bullets, B-tips and SSTs, taught me they are a bit too explosive. I know the Sciroccos have a bonded core but I have heard they too are a bit on the soft side. Does anyone have any field experience with the Sciroccos.

Thanks, zman

posted Hide Post
I've seen two deer and an antelope taken with 30cal 180s and will say they aren't nearly as explosive as SSTs or Ballistic Tips. They haven't exhibited as much accuracy in my rifles as the others but they've grouped well enough. I intend to try them this fall on mule deer, if I'm lucky!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

My experience, Scirrocos in .280 @2880 fps on mule deer buck at 146 yards: broke two ribs going in, traveled at an angle up to off-side shoulder, broke knuckle joint, lodged under skin.

Mushroomed perfectly, retained 89% of its weight. Average accuracy was about 1 moa.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote