New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Expectations for factory rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There's only one or two companies that will guarantee 1/2 MOA. H S Precision is one. That's why I sold 5 guns to buy one. Which shoots 1/2" all the time with the occasional 1/4". Worth every bit of the $2500 I spent on it.

I think 1" consistently with most factory rifles is pretty darn good. I firmly agree with all who say to bed it and get a trigger job asap.

Posts: 66 | Location: Tucson | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I "had" a stock Remington 700 BDL blue barrel 30-06 that my friend wanted it would shoot 1/2" or less at 100yrds with 150gr Ballistic Tip bullets. The only thing I did to the rifle was adjust the Lawyer trigger to 3.5lbs. I killed most of my Deer with that 30-06. My friend just couldn't stand having an accurate rifle so he sold it and bought a 300WM Ruger. We have never found another stock rifle as accurate. He is looking into getting a Sako 270WSM but I told him that it is still a hunting rifle not a target rifle. I am still kicking my self for selling it to him I should have given it to my dad at least I would have gotten it back later.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every Sako M-75 that must shoot a 5 shot sub 1" group at 100 yds before it leaves the factory. Every Tikka that leaves the factory must shoot a 3 shot sub 1" group. I think that it's reasonable to expect an M-75 to shoot a 1/2 to 3/4 3 shot group. Other rifles can be as accurate. I have 3 kimber 8400's that all have shot 1" 3shot groups or better at 200yds.
Now do they do this every day? Not in Oklahoma wind with me shooting (it's not unusual to have points of impact change 4-5 inches from day to day). I've been able to repeat the groups often enough to have an idea of what the rifles are capable of and to give me goals of what shooting form to acheive.
I think the previous poster who questioned what the shooter is capable of is on the right track. Don't give up on a rifle until you are sure you have shot concentric ammo with good powders, bullets and proper case prep in good conditions..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Two points

I don't expect every factory rifle to be capable of 1/2" groups, 3/4-1" groups are more like it, and good enough for my uses. I'd be very happy to find a 1/2" factory rifle, and more then content for an moa or tad better gun.

This is not meant as an insult, but do you have a gun capable of consistant 1/2" groups to let you know that you can shoot 1/2" or better consistantly? I think asside from the BR guys, most of us aren't up to shooting 1/2" day in and day out.

Shy of real BR rests, a really good trigger, and good consistant form from the shooter, consistant tight groups are much rarer then we assume. You also need to realize that most folks that post about their bug hole groups are telling you their best ever groups. I'd venture to say if took somebodies magic load in their gun, had them load up 100 rounds, and then shoot off four 5 round groups in 5 different range sessions, that the average groups would be suprisingly larger than the "best ever" group.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
In the real world, a factory gun that will average (4- 5 shot groups /20 shot average) under 1" @100yds is hard to find. Accuracy can be improved with custom dies, sometimes neck turning, but most accurace is in the barrel on a factory gun, all the tricks in the book can't make a bad barrel shoot well.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 rifles that will consistantly shoot >than 1/2" @100yds. One being a 700 S/S 708,(39grs RE15 w/150MKs, 39.5grs Varget w/150BTs) the other a Rem. 700 Varmint 6mmRem.,(39.5grs. H4895 w/75 Sierras)it has shot a smallest group of .217 and consistant 3s and 4s when equipped with a Jewell and 6-24 Burris, neither is bedded, both have HS Precision stocks and factory triggers in the 19-24oz range, my 700VS 223(9oz Jewell) has shot in the 4s about 4 times in 700 some odd shots, and in the 8s @200 about 3 times, it's the only rifle I've got that's bedded, I now shoot 10 shot groups @200 yds with it and it shoots from .6-.75moa, that's plenty good accuracy for a factory rifle that will be used for Pdogs some day. My 06 model 70 very rarely shoots over 1" with 50.5grs Varget and 150BTs, don't shoot it that much anymore, just not fun to shoot like the 223. Got a rebarreled 700 308 Varmint which now sports a Stainless 700 barrel and a "Classic" stock, it shot in the 1.5" range with the left over 165 Hornadys when it used to have the "Varmint" barrel on it, that was a .8-1.0" barrel, I do believe this rifle will shoot around 1/2" range with some 168AMAX or MKs, if I allow the barrel to cool between shots and a bigger scope would help a bit, also. I believe the original poster can expect around an inch for the 300saum if it is shot slowly, that barrel will get hot like really fast, shoot 3 shot groups and be done with it, the 7 mag should do very well with 62grs. IMR4831 and 154 Hornadys,(1/2" range for 3 shots) well, at least my model 70 used to, since been sold to friend, don't believe the Ruger will shoot as good with all the freebore they put in their rifles, the 243 should have no problem getting 1/2" for 5 shots, try 75 Sierras, 80gr Power-Lokts worked well in my 6mm, also. As did 70MKs, 80gr Noslers and 75gr Hornadys, and 95gr. VLDs. H4895, Varget and H4350 should do just as well in the 243 as in the 6mmRem. with the lighter bullets. Good luck with the Ruger, haven't seen too many that shoot good. BTW, I don't believe that bedding helps a lick,(@100yds. anyway) it's the barrel all the way. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
BTH, Email me, I'll show you how to get that trigger lighter, jarhty28@hotmail.com J

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the opinions and points of everyone. I do love this new (for me) hobby. I guess I'm just a little let down that I can't beat factory ammo...yet! I ordered a caldwell benchrest and a couple bags today. I've been using a cheapo. I did not realize how much I was moving with my 3-9 power scopes. i shot some with a 6-24 the other day and realized even though I was able to hold the cross wires on the 1" bull, they were not perfectly still. Obviously, any movement effects accuracy. In addition, I don't have a trigger scales, but the 700 VLS feels like 50 lbs!!! I will definitely be adjusting the trigger.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote