New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire-forming/light loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The snow is going to be gone here in a few months so I figured it is time to get all of my brass prepped and ready to go.

I have a bunch of 300WSM brass that needs to be fire-formed. I also have a bunch of 130gr Hornady's just sitting on the shelf doing nothing. I would like to burm up these bullets and fire-form this brass using Hodgdon's reduced load 42.5gr of H4895. Hodgdon lists this with a pressure of 28,400 PSI.

Can a reduced load such as this be used to fire-form new brass, or do I need a stronger load to form the brass properly?

Thanks Again

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
They should fire form just fine.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 280 Ackley Improved and a 300 Jarrett, both requiring fireforming...when talking with the gurus, they suggested loads with bullseye and about a quarter square of toilet paper tamped on top of the powder to fireform. Danged if it didn't work great! No waste of bullets, lessened bore erosion due to no bullets used, etc....I got much better results doing it this way. Of course the wife wanted to know what I needed tp for in the shop.

Looked back in my records...23.0 grains of bullseye with a quarter square of tp blew out my Ackley just fine. 30. grains for the Jarrett.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
WOW are you sure you need that much powder?
I blow .30-30 out stiaght for .38-55's with 5 grains. But I do tamp the case full of corn meal and then put a soft wax plug in the neck.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
The snow is going to be gone here in a few months so I figured it is time to get all of my brass prepped and ready to go.

I have a bunch of 300WSM brass that needs to be fire-formed. I also have a bunch of 130gr Hornady's just sitting on the shelf doing nothing. I would like to burm up these bullets and fire-form this brass using Hodgdon's reduced load 42.5gr of H4895. Hodgdon lists this with a pressure of 28,400 PSI.

Can a reduced load such as this be used to fire-form new brass, or do I need a stronger load to form the brass properly?

Thanks Again

I've never been happy with the results of fireforming reduced loads.

I fireform virgin brass before neck-sizing and loading accuracy or hunting rounds, for my 30-06 I use a 180gr bullet, I have a supply of old
Herters 180gr Semi-spitzers.

I use IMR4895 myself but my fireforming load in 30-06 cases is 45grains with a heavier bullet
and that with the bullet seated to "kiss" the lands.

43grains with a 130gr bullet is below minimum
in the Speer handbook for a 130gr, I'd be looking at 47-48grs to get complete forming.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
It is recommended that lighter loads NOT be used for fireforming, as sometimes they don't completely force the case out to the full shape of the chamber.....

BUT, I have used the TP/Bullseye/cornmeal approach to blowing .348 cases out to .450 Alaskan, and they opened up the case mouth enough to expand them to .45 with a sizer button.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote