Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 147 gr. .308 FMJBT inquiry
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Leigh
Try some commercial 150 grain bullets with the same load. You will see the difference a good bullet will make. Also weigh some 147 gr. bullets and get 10 that weigh the same, see if that cuts down on your group size.
You might buy sone commercial bullets in bulk [usually you can find some Remington bullets for sale in bulk at Midway]. They might cost a little more but you can use them for deer and varmit hunting as well as plinking.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't expect stellar accuracy from the milpsec bullets, you probably won't get it, I never have. Best I've come up with is IMR4064, 46-47grs. Good luck

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leigh

Welcome to AR. While I have never loaded 147 gr surplus bullets I have shot several [and I mean several] thousand rounds of military 308 ball from several countries. If you are getting 2 to 2 and 1/2" groups at 100 yards you are probably getting as good as the bullets are capable of.

I have found that commercial soft points of 150 grains will group with Military Ball with 42 to 43 grains of IMR 3031.

Do not try and make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

What kind of groups are you getting now?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased 250 - Winchester .308 147 gr. FMJBT bullets for plinking and need help in working-up a decent load. Have worked-up several loads using Win. 748, RE-15, Varget, and IMR 3031. These loads mirror my favorite 150 gr. bullet loads with not much success. Rifle used is a Rem. 700 VS with 12 twist, 26" barrel. I'm aware these bullets are Mil-surp with less than desireable bearing surface. Can not find any reloading data in my manuals. Any loads from other shooters will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posts: 69 | Location: East TX | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote