New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Remington factory load info.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some of the above ammo (40 rounds)from a project that didn't progress some years ago. I had pulled the A-frame factory projectiles & replaced them with Hornady soft points. Unwilling to sell them on like this following advice from an earlier thread, I now have recovered 40 bullets, 40 cases & nearly 1/2 pound of powder which was loaded at a rate of 79 grains per round. I was advised to dump this but being a Kiwi of Scots descent such waste is more than I can stand. Being as its probably a non canister powder, it should be possible to work out an approximate burning rate & work up loads for another cartridge from there using careful load development practices, stating low etc. Assuming a factory velocity of 2400 fps (?) I reckon that places it in the 4064/4320 range of powder, which I think I could load into my 416 Taylor when its complete quite happily. Does anyone know for sure what powder Remington used in these & what the factory loads actually did fps wise? These are fairly early production rounds.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be willing to bet it is Reloder 15. They use in the .375 H&H as well.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shinzo:
Does anyone know for sure what powder Remington used in these & what the factory loads actually did fps wise?
Steve

Steve, it is little wonder it took two days for you get an initial response. IMHO, any guess at a particular powder, with the implication you can safely use data for that assumed powder, is highly risky.

Factories use non-cannister powders not available to the public. What is more, ammo lot "A" may be loaded with a completely different powder than used in lot "B". Unless somebody *knows* what powder is in your particular lot (assuming you only had ONE lot?), it is probably best to err on the side of caution.

Burn wise, it is very likely your powder is in the vicinity of RL15 - after all that is one of the best powders in the .416 Rem. But whether it actually *IS* RL15 is anybody's guess. How you want to make use of the powder is up to you - develop load (carefully working up from below) or as lawn fertilizer (probably the safer option...).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote