New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS trim pro
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
is it me or is the whole shell holder arraingement a piece of crap. I am getting ready to load for a super .30 flanged and they tell me they don't make shell holders for all the wildcats! I'm going to modify a .45/70 holder and get by for now. I think the RCBS will go up on ebay after a bit. Whats the point if you can only get shell holders for "standard" cardtridges? I think I will buy a redding in the futur.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The trim pro is really built to serve the masses, and as such doesn't offer the universal utility that some of the other brands do. Incidentally, most of the wildcats will be served by the standard shellholders, as they cover most of the casehead diameters out there. You happen to have a highly obscure wildcat, and they can't justify the tooling. That said, in your case, you are likely better served by one of the universal collet style trimmers, as they adjust nearly infinitely to accomodate different head diameters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The lee hand held trimmer isn't the worst unless you are doing tons of cases. It's too bad they don't make a "pin kit" so you could vary the length of the trim gauge...but that would cut in on them selling one for each cartridge.
I do lots of 30 caliber stuff on my rcbs and have the 3 way cutter......I like it!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Overall I like the shell holder arrangement on the RCBS trim pro because it is easy to put cases into. I have used mine to trim many thousands of cases. My fingers get sore having to tighten some of the others or get cramped trying to hold the case on some of the shoulder based cutters.
I couple minutes with a Dremel tool has solved any problems I've come up with when needing to fit non-standard cases. I little thinking and trimming here or there works wonders.
The 3-way cutters are especially nice.
I think it's an excellent tool overall.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote