New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most accurate powder measure for pistol powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally found some powder to load .45 acp but the powder is VERY fast (VIHTAVUORI N310).
Would like to pick up a really accurate powder measure to use with this powder.

Any suggestions? I will only been throwing 4 grains or less with the VIHTAVUORI N310 but it would be nice to use it with other pistol powders going up to 30 grains or so.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Herrells benchrest measures seem to the most accurate. I think the little one will go that low. For what it is worth, I load thousands of round of 9mm with 5.4 of n320 through a simple Dillon measure with good results

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hornady LNL auto-progressive press that utilizes the Hornady LNL powder measure that throws ball powder with boring consistency. I have loaded 380acp rounds with 3.2 grains of W231 with hardly any adjustment through 600 rds loaded. The key to consistent powder charges is pulling the lever the same every turn, and I don't care which manual powder thrower is used, this is always paramount. The Hornady thrower is under $75, so it won't break the bank.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Culver type from HARRELL'S... http://harrellsprec.com/index.php... if you have the big bucks...
Lyman 55, RCBS little dandy, RCBS with the micrometer powder adjuster...

Just about any good quality powder measure will suffice...it depends on you dispensing technique more than anything...uniformity in your movements, same turning stroke, same amount of "knocking" to settle the powder each stroke, powder level in the powder tube...

I have several brands and they all work and keep within about 1-2 tenths grain as advertised...any closer and you need to "trickle"...that amount of difference doesn't mean much, tho', as YOUR shooting ability makes more difference than the powder amount or brand.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have several brands and they all work and keep within about 1-2 tenths grain as advertised...any closer and you need to "trickle"...that amount of difference doesn't mean much, tho', as YOUR shooting ability makes more difference than the powder amount or brand.

tu2

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the way the Harrels mount to the bench. At this point I am seriously considering the Redding Competition Model 10X Pistol measure.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience the powder used has a much greater effect than the measure. Powders like AA5, W231, H110/W296 etc. measure very well. Powders like Unique not so well. For volume target ammo I really like W231.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have used an RCBS Uniflo for a bit over 30 years without incident. Granted, the measure is somewhat dependent on the type of powder being thrown (it is much more consistent with ball powders...), but using the powder baffle from RCBS, I find the measure to be well within my required tolerances. I sometimes "scale and trickle" extruded powders, but typically the others work just fine in the Uniflo.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you guys about having to be consistent. But this time I will be working on charges as low as 3.8 to 4.1 grains with the V310 powder.
My old RCBS measure is fine for rifles rounds as I trickle charge after measuring them but I decided to try something with a repeatable micrometer metering system as well. PITA to keep on trying to reset the RCBS every time.
Besides, I am good for our faltering economySmiler

One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
I have the Lee model that comes with the startup kit. It's worked briliantly so far, as in I weight every 10th charge when I do pistol ammo and never have had to adjust it mid-stream. It also loves ball powder once you tighten the screw on the handle about 1/8 of a turn. Haven't put any stick throuh it yet, but the instructions say the elastomer wiper will minimize cut granules.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe: Do yourself a favor and buy the replacement micrometer screw for your RCBS Uniflow powder measure. Repeatable and consistent. Available for both the rifle and pistol drums.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is the Redding Match Grade 3 BR with both the metering mics. I have only ever used the small mic in it and with 231 for dropping 38s and 45s etc. It is spot on with that style powder(s). Fast too but I don't go too fast.

Somewhere in there I called Sinclair or even Redding maybe and asked for their recommendation and it was the 3 BR .

For the rifle and more volume loads I use the Chargemaster 1500 . But I have thought about using the rifle mic in the 3 BR but I just never have .

I keep the RCBS 750 scale on and by the 3BR when using it and I measure some sometimes at a set interval and sometimes just random and it is always very close.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An RCBS little dandy has 24 rotors so you can pretty much pick your poison...if not buy a few extra #1's and custom make one.

The rotors are hardened so you will need a carbide drill.

Or do as I do...pour in a little epoxy in a larger one, let it set then drill it out...slowly. You can get spot on for ANY powder weight.

There is also a neat larger round handle that makes it easier and all you have to do is add a handle if you like...makes it much easier.

I have rotors for all my "standard" pistol and small case rifles calibers for specific powders/amounts.

I have two of the Uniflow's going back to 1956-60 somewheres, both with the large rotors and micrometer and the Lyman 55 came first in '55 or '56 along with my first "30-30" cal "Nutcracker" 310 tool.

There is also the ubiquitous Lee dippers...again...I have the old "black" numbered set and the newer CC set and they can also be "adjusted"...plus a bunch of "cartridge case dippers" for specific rifles.

I have a couple of the adjustable lee shot dippers out of the WAY old Lee shotgun hand reloaders I use for my very large rifle cases...and it can be "epoxy adjusted" also.

Let your mind roll on and you can come up with a bunch of ways to get what you need powder measure wise, accurate within a tenth and cheap to boot.

I would like a 3 BR but can't justify it considering all the other "stuff". Hard to make a choice nowadays as all the reloading companies have good measures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snow wolfe
All measures have to be reset from charge to charge unless you use a fixed rotor like the RCBS Lil Dandy.

Once you get your load worked up buy a Lil Dandy and one rotor and forget it.

Your RCBS measure is fine expecially if you use ball powders with the small measuring screw.

Your main concern with using a fast burning powder is not to double charge or have it bridge.
If it bridges you may get very little in one case and a double charge in the following case.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish my RCBS measure was fine for 4 grain loads but it isn't. I get up to 1/2 grain difference with every throw of the handle. And I am not going to trickle in powder for pistol rounds that I load 100-200 at a time.
Besides, the Redding 10X is already ordered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Case closed.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I wish my RCBS measure was fine for 4 grain loads but it isn't. I get up to 1/2 grain difference with every throw of the handle. And I am not going to trickle in powder for pistol rounds that I load 100-200 at a time.
Besides, the Redding 10X is already ordered.

I'm confused. Do you have the small charge rotor in your uniflow? Mine consistently throws within .1 grain with any powder except the long extruded like IMR4831. Even loading 9mm or 38spl with Unique or 700X I have no problems and in fact load them on my old 4X4 progressive.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have the small charge rotor as well. It has served me well for about 35 years. But it will not meter 4 grain loads accurately.

Nothing to be confused about, I really didn't want to spend just over $200 for a new powder measure and stand if I didn't have to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So basically Snowwolfe inflicted this thread upon us, asked a question, disagreed with everyone's suggestions and did what he wanted to anyway.

Shall it come to pass that the REdding measure has no features that render it the slightest bit better than a RCBS measure I would like to see that admission here.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
So basically Snowwolfe inflicted this thread upon us, asked a question, disagreed with everyone's suggestions and did what he wanted to anyway.

Shall it come to pass that the REdding measure has no features that render it the slightest bit better than a RCBS measure I would like to see that admission here.

A couple of guys mentioned getting the Harrels powder measure and I looked at them but didn't like the way they mounted to the bench. Then someone suggested the Redding and I took a close look at it and decided to buy one. It had better reviews than the comparable RCBS model. My current RCBS powder measure does not have a micrometer adjustment setting and the Redding 10X does.

I don't need to explain to you how I spend my money. I evaluated everyones input and made the decision that was right for me. If you don't like it, then fuck off.

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
Whew! My turn.

I wasn't throwing 4 gr. charges but my very inexpensive LEE PERFECT POWDER MEASURE threw two hundred 17 gr. charges of AA9 last week and kept them all within a 10th.

I also agree with C.G.B.'s comment on powder types.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will like it. I haven't had to adjust my 3 BR in I can't remember when . I just clean it and go on. I have it mounted to a plate that can go off and on the bench and gives the stand very good stability .

The operation is very smooth, but smooth and consistent movement of the handle makes for close drop weights . I guess that is the same with all of the mechanical measures . Mine seemed to like the baffle at one height better than a couple of others that I tried when using the 231 when I first set it up .

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Redding 10X is the cats meow. I loaded up 300 rounds of 45 acp with 4 grains of N310 and once it was set up it ran perfect. Checked it on the scale every 20 rounds or so and it never had to be readjusted.
Like it so much just ordered the 3BR to use with the bigger capacity cases.

posted Hide Post
Been using a Little Dandy now for well over 20 years, no problems

NRA PATRON
GCO

Posts: 21 | Location: AL | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did not see where the OP was doing progressive or single step loading.... Makes a bit of a difference to both type and technique.

Lee, while cheep, work well, almost too well for the $. Really top flite tools are not so useful if going progressive IME.

I use both Hornady LNL with pistol rotors for 45ACP, 40 SW ( I don't reload smaller stuff), IUse the Lee PM for 600 yd loads, and the rifle LNL rotor/insert for short line loads.

I get good stats on the press,with either LNLs, good results across the chrono (SD <20) and the Lee PM givesm e great success at 600 with a 233 service rifle.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Single step using a Forster Co-Ax for handgun rounds.
This powder measure is a winner. As I said before, loaded 300 rounds at 4 grains of N310 per round and once set it NEVER deviated as I checked every 20 rounds of so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not about how you spend your money. It is about wasting people's time. Very rude.

quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:

A couple of guys mentioned getting the Harrels powder measure and I looked at them but didn't like the way they mounted to the bench. Then someone suggested the Redding and I took a close look at it and decided to buy one. It had better reviews than the comparable RCBS model. My current RCBS powder measure does not have a micrometer adjustment setting and the Redding 10X does.

I don't need to explain to you how I spend my money. I evaluated everyones input and made the decision that was right for me. If you don't like it, then fuck off.

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not about how you spend your money. It is about wasting people's time. Very rude.

Doesn't waste my time. If I'm interested, I read. If I'm not, I'm gone.

FWIW, I do way more reading here than posting because most of the people that frequent this place probably know more than I vis-à-vis reloading.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[ignore]Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I don't need to explain to you how I spend my money. I evaluated everyones input and made the decision that was right for me. If you don't like it, then fuck off.[/ignore]