New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Nickel 280 brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why does Winchester make Nickel plated 280 brass? I have not seen any other new WW brass in Nickel lately. Just wondering.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Probably because of the fancy ammo line. Fancy ammo looks "worth it" if its all chromy and shiny. I've seen qutie a bit of nickle WW brass, in various calibers actually...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am referring to unfired brass for reloading. 280 is the only nickel brass that I have seen being sold for reloading in the last few years.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've wondered about that too. I use the nickle plated Winchester cases in my Ruger #1B .280 but would prefer plain brass. The only reason I can think of is to help avoid confusing them with .270 ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester make several cases in the nickle finish. Some people say they have a tendency to shed some of the nickle in the neck area and potentially cause damage to the dies. I turn my case necks down to the brass and have never had any problem. I have some cases I've reloaded 15-18 times without problem. They are a little slicker as well.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
As an owner/reloader of the .280, I too have wondered why Winchester only offers the .280 brass as a reloading component. I do use it exclusively because it looks cool and it resists corrosion so well. I have had zero problems with the nickle flaking off and really like the stuff. I wish they would offer all their brass nickle plated as unfired cases.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the only remington brass i use is 280 & 35 whelen. i have had nickle split problems with my m70 280 & winchester brass. I tried norma but only got 3-4 reloads so i'm stuck with remington trash

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote