New
Find
Notify
Tools

300win
 Login/Join

<toto>
posted
I was looking in an old Speer manual at the 300win. they list a 200gr at a little over 3100ft. per sec. Is this a reality or a possibility. fws

<Guy>
posted
I would say it is possible with a very long barrel, maybe a barrel 32" or more in length. Even then, the load would be hot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
toto,

Just looked at the Speer manual (#11) and they do list a 200gr bullet at just over 3100fps. Never noticed that before. Interesting that the other loads are in the 2600 to 2800fps range. The test gun listed is a Win. Mdl 70 with a 24"bbl.

Is IMR 7828 listed in their newer manuals for that bullet weight??

Happy shooting.....cjw3

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
What Speer manual do you have that shows loads with those velocities? I have the #6 and #7 books and neither one shows loads close to that. They both show 73grs. of 4350 producing 3025fps at the muzzle.

<toto>
posted
SPEER #11

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the day they printed that manual, some type setter was nuts.

I looked at that several times over the years, and can't come near it with even a 25" barrel without really flat primers, and all the wrong pressure signs.

Anything over 2900 is a gift, unless you really push the envelope.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote