New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 weatherby loads????
 Login/Join

<fishnfst>
posted
Hello all I just purchased a .300 weatherby. I have shot 180grn nosler partition factory ammo out of her already and the results are excellent between .5 and .75 @ 100yrds. I would like to duplicate this load in some reloads. Anyone have an idea to what powder weatherby is using? Or maybe a powder that is close in the burn scale to their powder. If not no problem. I looked in a couple of different reloading manuals and found some data but I don't know where to start. Anyone have a powder recommendation that you have had good luck with in your .300 weatherby.

I've reloaded for all of my varmint rifles but the largeset capacity case I have now is a .308. I think some new powders are in order.....

Any and all info would be much appreciated.

Doug

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, sounds like your new 300 Weatherby shoots pretty good. I have no idea what powder is used in the factory Weatherby ammo, but most likely it is a Norma powder since they load the ammo.

I do know that I have tried all sorts of things in several 300 Weatherby rifles and keep coming back to either H 4831 or RL 22 powders.

I shoot nothing but 180 grain bullets in my 300 Weatherby and prefer the Nosler Partition. Having said that I used to shoot the Speer flat base spitzer and had darned good luck with it as well.

Currently the load I use is as follows:

Remington brass
Federal 215M primer
81 grains of RL 22
Nosler 180 grain Partition

In my rifle which is a Remington 700 Classic with a 24 inch barrel this gives just over 3100 fps and the last group I shot with it was 0.46 inches for three shots at 100 yards.

R F [Smile]

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They used to use Norma MRP. I don't know what they are using today.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what Weatherby uses, but I'm convinced that the best powder for the 300 Weatherby is IMR 7828. Using max loads of it (as given in the IMR loading manual) with Remington brass and Federal 215 primers, I get 3200+ f.p.s. with 180 gr. bullets and 3000+ f.p.s. with 200 gr. bullets. My 300 Weatherby is also a Remington 700 Classic with a 24 inch barrel.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 7828. For me a better powder than re 22 but I'd much rather work with re 22 because of it's nice metering.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
<fishnfst>
posted
Thanks guys looks like I am going to have to go and buy a can of imr 7828 and rl-22.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the IMR7828. I use 80gr with a 200gr sierra BT at 3060 fps. Shoots right under an inch. I've tried RL25 but the SD was really high.

Posts: 49 | Location: Jeanerette, LA | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
My max was 86gr of IMR7828 with the 180 gr bullet. I used Hornady. Fed 215's are the norm in this and all WBY cartridges. [Wink]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
My favorite powder for the .300 Wby is IMR7828, about 85 grains max with 180 grain bullets. I've also tried RL22, H1000, H4831 and Ramshot Magnum, but 7828 works best for me.

Here's one of my favorite loads:

Powder: IMR7828 84 grains (max with this bullet)
Bullet: 180 gr Swift Scirocco
Brass: Norma
Primer: Fed 215M

In my Sako this gives me right at 3200fps and accuracy is really good.

posted Hide Post
I'm playing with AA 8700 right now with 180gr. Sierra BT, because they are inexpensive and accurate. Anyway I'm getting groups under a half inch.

I'm using 92grains of 8700 right now and plan to play some more after I'm done guiding this year.

I own two 300 wby mags one is a early 60's german made mark V with a 24 inch barrel, the other is an American made mark V with the 26 inch tube. My son is planning on kidnaping one of them.

Barny

[ 10-24-2002, 07:25: Message edited by: barny ]

Posts: 21 | Location: NM | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Rocky Mountain Hunter>
posted
I have to add another vote for IMR7828. My 300 WBY likes this powder with almost any bullet size. If you look at the IMR manual it is the single powder they recommend for all WBY calibers. So far I've worked up loads with both 180 and 200 grn bullets with this powder and all shoot 1/2" or less groups when I do my job with very consistent velocity.

The load that works best for me with a balance of stopping power and flat shooting is:

85 grns IMR 7828
Nosler 180 partition
Fed 215 primer
Remington brass (it's 1/2 the price of WBY brass and you can buy it in bulk, it's holding up 4+ loads so far and gives good consistency in the all loads I've tried).

This load chronos very consistently at 3275 fps (15 fps variation) out of my Mark V Accumark Lightweight.

One recommendation, I've found that my gun will shoot Speer 180 flat base bullets to almost the same point of impact as the 180 partitions with this load in my gun. I shoot Speers to work up loads and for practice and save the expensive Noslers for final point of aim adjustments and hunting.

Enjoy the WBY, it's a great gun and caliber.

<Safari-Pete>
posted
Hi I use
IMR 7828 79.5 grs...barnes X 165 gr and a FED 215 mag primer and a five shot group at 100 yards in my gun is under a half inch group