Find
Notify
Tools

Need a bigger press
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
Well today was an education. I started loading 470 NE for the first time. Turns out my old Rockchucker press is too short. I was able to load some light, short bullets (325 grain)by unscrewing the seating die after each round. This was necessary in order to get the cartridge out of the shell holder !! Does kind of keep things at a sedate pace.

What presses are others using for these long British cartridges? Sure would appreciate some advice.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
The only one I have is the Redding Ultramag. It should work fine for your needs.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<awtc>
posted
RCBS ammomaster, Redding "BigBoss", Forster/Bonnaza (spelled wrong) Co-Ax. These will do it. I reload 416 Rigby, a little shorter case 2.90 versus 3.20 for the 470 NE and I just get away with it in my Rockchucker by putting the bullet up in the seater die, holding then put a case in the ram-shell holder then pull the ram

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you would at the very least need to grt a Hornady Lock-N-Load press adaptor. At least then you would be somewhat assured of a consistent reseating depth.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get an UltraMAg. I've been loading all of my center fire rifle cartridges, including .416 Rigby, on mine for about three years now. While the OAL is not quite as long as your .470 NE there should be plenty of room for a finished .470 NE round. My finished .416 Rigby cartridges have about .75" of clearance from bullet tip to the bottom of the die when the ram is at bottom dead center.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I,ve a Lyman Crusher II press that works fine on .470NE, .500/450NE & .500BPE. Only problems is it is restricted to 7/8" dies. If you have to load for a wider case size (.577, etc) most of the dies are made 1 1/4" and won't fit. I also think the Lyman would be getting a bit short for longer 3 1/2" cases like .475 No.2. I saw a really large RCBS press a few years that looks like it could handle anything. Not sure what its model name was nor whether the're still made.

RJW

Posts: 71 | Location: Kununurra, Western Australia | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Redding, you get benchrest accuracy and the ability to fit any cartridge in it.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. Bought a big Lyman after reading these posts, and got it pretty inexpensively to boot. Should make it a LOT easier.

Appreciate it!

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote