New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee powder measures.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering a new powder measure. How well do the Lee powder measures work? Are they durable and easy to adjust?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted Hide Post
Which Lee powder measure are you looking to get?
I have used both the Auto Disk and the perfect powder measure and have found they are all right. The perfect powder measure is easier to use, works just like other powder measures of that type.
The Auto Disk on the other hand is kind of annoying to change. Not difficult but annoying. Its only good if you have the right die to screw it into, and probly helps if you using a turret or progressive press.

But with both powder measures I had issues getting them to dispense a consistant load. Maybe it was just me or the powder I was using (Unigue and Bullseye) but was kinda frustrating. Had to tap the measure before dispensing to get a consistant load.
But they where both durable and the Perfect powder measure is easy to adjust.
I have since moved on to a Redding powder measure and haven't looked back. So my recomendation would be that unless your on a tight budget I would recommend getting a Redding Measure. You'll buy it now and use it as long as you reload - heck your grandkids might be using it after you.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done a test on the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, using Varget.

I dispensed a fairly large number of charges of Varget, and measured each one by hand on a scale. The standard deviation of the load thrown was .1 grain. Even in a small rifle cartridge, such as the 223, the increase in standard deviation of muzzle speed was negligible, vs. having perfectly uniform loads.

Unique is a flake powder, which is does not meter well, in any powder measure I know of.

Ball powders do meter quite well. In my .41 Mag, I use AA#9, and get very consistent loads.

Large stick powders, like the old 4831, do not meter quite as well as the short stick stuff, like Varget, but are better than the flake types.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee "perfect" powder measure is more accurate than the Lyman and RCBS measures I have. It also handles stick powders very well. It must be broken in (coated with powder dust inside) but then it's very accurate from then on. They are so cheap I now have 3 of them and leave them set for the loads I use the most. They look like a cheap plastic toy but (for me anyway) they really do the job.

One of Us
Picture of Deep Space Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Denton, that would explain alot. I'll have to try those powder measure with some different powders. If i can get results as good as yours I'll have to get those two measures set up for some of my other loads.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
The Lee "perfect" powder measure is more accurate than the Lyman and RCBS measures I have. It also handles stick powders very well. It must be broken in (coated with powder dust inside) but then it's very accurate from then on. They are so cheap I now have 3 of them and leave them set for the loads I use the most. They look like a cheap plastic toy but (for me anyway) they really do the job.

i have been using the lee perfect measure for yrs now and i have found the same as you..........

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using the RCBS Uniflow Measure now. It throws good charges if you use a very consistent speed and pressure on the handle. I load a lot of R22 and IMR 4831, and it tends to cut powder. I'm assuming this is a fact of life with these powders. I thought about getting one of the Lee measures and leaving set up for one of my loads, so I dont have to keep adjusting the RCBS measure when I change calibers. It work well, but its a pain to get set right.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other note... when you first get it, take it apart, and check for "flash" left during the molding process (plastic that flows into the joints of the mold). Mine had a little "leftover" at the mouth of the cylinder, which was easily removed. Worked better after that.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote