THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stocks of powder gone in three minutes...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted
I got text and email messages from Midway today at 3:43PM that Alliant RL 7, Unique, Bullseye, and Power Pistol powders were in stock.

By the time I followed the links to the Midway site at 3:46PM none of those powders were in stock.

Mind boggles Frowner.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The hoarding continues.. 2020 I would really like to locate a lb. of unique for my 38.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It helps to be in the right place at the right time. Last week-end I scored an 8 pounder of Unique at the Crossroads gun show Phoenix. I'd rather be lucky than good...

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Problem at Midway is there are 1000s of people that got the same notification that they had some powder. I haven't ordered powder in a couple years. But check the stores every time I go in pick up a couple #s now and then.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You better have Midway on speed dial and call the minute you get notification.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
The hoarding continues.. 2020 I would really like to locate a lb. of unique for my 38.

To bad shipping a lb is so much I have one I part with

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
There's good news here. Pistol powders are showing up.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a couple
Of positives recently! Some hard to find powders showing up not only on shelves but in good quantities AND several of our hoarder "friends" showing anxiety and beginning
To dump some of their stash! This in s Texas area

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in a LGS I was surprised at the amount of components they had on the shelf. It wasn't cheap but they had a good variety of powder, primers and bullets. You might have better luck with some of the independents than at the bigger places like Cabelas and Midway.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One man's 'hoarding' is another man's 'stocking up'. Depends upon whose ox is being gored....

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shootshellz:
One man's 'hoarding' is another man's 'stocking up'. Depends upon whose ox is being gored....

correct! I bought 4 to 8 pound sizes before Obummer took office, no shortage in my loading room!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he meant the guys that buy all the powder they can just to keep the supply gone and try to resell it. There is a difference if your stocking up on what you'll actually use.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
I got text and email messages from Midway today at 3:43PM that Alliant RL 7, Unique, Bullseye, and Power Pistol powders were in stock.

By the time I followed the links to the Midway site at 3:46PM none of those powders were in stock.

Mind boggles Frowner.

I also placed an order with Midway back on the 28th of October for two 1-pound containers of IMR-4064 for reloading my .308s. Well at the time I placed my order they had it listed "IN STOCK". A few weeks later, I received noticed that it was shipped, but it took another 15 days for delivery to my home via ground UPS. Seems like it is becoming harder to order powder since 2009.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

To bad shipping a lb is so much I have one I part with

Same here, I've got plenty of it, but unless you can come by NE Texas to pick it up, that's where it will stay. OTOH, I'm looking to try some Power Pistol out and haven't found any yet.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hoarding is easy to define; it is buying up more supplies than you will every shoot in your lifetime; I know people who have done that in the past 2 years. I tell them that I can't wait for their estate sale.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder "shortages" are weird to say the least. There is a gun shop 15 miles away from my property in Tennessee and they have all the pistol powders you could want. Bullseye, Unique, Power Pistol, WW296, H110, etc.
Yet I have not seen any of these powders on the shelf at any store in Colorado in 18 months.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not anyone's business how much smokeless powder (or anything else that is legal) someone purchases.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Our local shop has limits on primers and powder that one can buy so I guess they do consider it their business.
It makes hoarding harder.
Hoarding causes harm to businesses as once the artificial pipeline is eventually filled, demand drops off to below pre-crisis levels and the business can no longer sell enough product to stay in business. It harms producers as if they increase production to meet the temporary increase in demand, what happens when demand falls back? And it hurts fellow shooters who can't wait at the shops every day to intercept the delivery trucks. So it does no one any good.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I guess I am pretty fortunate. I live withing 5-7 miles from 5 well stocked gunshops including a new Cabela's.
three of them stock most powders, and have pretty good stocks of most powders on hand (as of yesterday morning)and plenty of bullets of most manufacturer except Hornady.
The only powder I have had a hard time getting in the last 3 months has been H-110. 4831, 4350, W760, Clays, 4895, Varget, and traildirt, no problem...
Cabela's usually has the best prices, usually $2 a can cheaper than the rest, but because it is in a Mall shopping area is is a supreme hassle getting there and their stock is always hit or miss, I usually opt for the local small shops.

The thing I have had a really hard time finding lately is Federal small rifle primers. All I can find is CCI.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd: You are confusing the seller with the buyer. The seller can set any limits he wants on a product. It is none of your business how much of an item(s) someone purchases. How do you know if someone is 'hoarding'? Perhaps he is buying for a large group or his grandkids. Even if he is 'hoarding' that is also none of your business. As Americans we are free to buy and sell at will. If you want a centralized economy, move to North Korea.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:

Send me a pm. We're close and can hook up one day and I have a pound for you.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Lighten up Shootz; I am commenting on what I have actually seen and it does harm everyone concerned from producer to customers. We, as members of a sort of fraternity, should look out for each other. The instances I see are hoarding, by any definition. I don't like it and that is my prerogative.
It is also your right to not like my not liking hoarding.
Centralized economy? Really?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd: You are the one that prefers a centralized economy, not me. Worry about other things; you will live longer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] Powder "shortages" are weird to say the least. There is a gun shop 15 miles away from my property in Tennessee and they have all the pistol powders you could want. Bullseye, Unique, Power Pistol, WW296, H110, etc. Yet I have not seen any of these powders on the shelf at any store in Colorado in 18 months. [/QUOTE}

Second that. The local shop in the next county has a good selection of powder but not everything. But if you go to Cabela's down by Kansas City their powders appear and disappear in irregular fashion. Type of market I guess?

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Local gun store in my area has almost all powders available. Handgun/shotshell powders are on the shelf. $29.99 a pound and a limit of one pound of one type of powder per day is how they keep the shelves full.

Posts: 130 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had powder in my basket and continued shopping to justify the shipping and when I went to check out the powder went out of stock and was removed, it ain't yours till you pay for it

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote