New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to buy a set of dies for a .300 weatherby I just bought. What are the best? I have RCBS for my .280 and have always been happy with them but figured I would see what seems to produce the best for everyone else. Also what dies should I get, Full Length and Bullet seating of course. Any others?

Posts: 37 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
#1 - Redding
#2 - RCBS

You might also consider a neck sizer die if the ammo is to be fired only in one rifle. Redding's "Deluxe" set ($44.52 @ MidSouth) includes the FL, Neck Die and Seater.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R-West, Thanks. From Doing a Search I also found that I probably can't go wrong with the redding's or the RCBS's. Will get the three dies because I am thinking that neck resizing is going to be a good option since I will only be shooting the .300 brass out of one gun. Thanks again.

Posts: 37 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every die set I own, except the one RCBS set that came with a rifle I purchased, and all of my reloading stuff is all Lee. I have heard all I need from the "Lee Bashers" and I know firsthand thay they are all wrong. The equipment is top notch, does the job extremely well, and is less expensive to boot.
Lee has the right collet die set for you for neck sizing only since you are going to only be using the ammo in the same rifle. The sets run just over $20 at www.midwayusa.com
You could pay more, but why ?

Best,
Ranger

[ 11-22-2002, 22:24: Message edited by: Rifleranger ]

Posts: 212 | Location: Noo Yawk | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW--see my post below "I could kiss my hornady dies". I own redding, rcbs, hornady, and forester. I love the quality and feel of the forester but, when the job is done--I can make just as good of ammo with the hornady. I think the secret to the great runnout I get on finished ammo is the eliptical expander on the hornady--it just plain doesn't pull the case mouth off center!
With the money you save you can buy that extra neck die!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote