New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seating dies in LNL bushings correctly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an LNL Classic with the quick lock bushings and a 9mm 3 die set. I just mounted it to the bench and I was hoping that you experienced guys could help me learn the best way to make sure my dies are screwed the appropriate amount into each bushing before I lock them in place with the lock nuts.

Thanks,
Steve

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For a straight wall pistol I set the sizer up to give a solid contact to the shell holder. The mouth expander is pretty much lock the die then slowly adjust the expander until you just get enought bell to allow you to start the bullet.

As to the seater. I often do them in two steps. However in one step first back the die off enough that the crimper doesn't hit. Seat the bullet to the OAL you want. Back the seater back out and screw the die down to give you a light crimp. No much is needed on a 9mm. Lock the die then crew the seater down to contact the bullet and lock it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If your sizing die is carbide back it a 1/2 turn off the shell holder. Hard contact with the press ram can damage the carbide ring in some dies.
The dies should be set up according to the instruction sheet that came with them.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Twist the LNL bushing into the threaded hole until tight. Then set up your dies as you would without the LNL bushing then tighten. You can now turn the die out via the bushing.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If your sizing die is carbide back it a 1/2 turn off the shell holder.

You're correct, my mistake. Frowner I guess I wasn't thinking. Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote