New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 splc.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do people still load and shoot the old 38 splc?
Never seem to hear much talk about it anymore.
I have a mountain of 38 brass and never seem to shoot it much myself either.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
My wife and I shoot alot of it with cheap plated bullets.
Keeps costs down vs shooting the .357 mag.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use .38's in my .38's and .357's all the time.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect carrier for my cast bullets.... fun and cheap!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Indeed, for the cast bullets + the brass.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
This cartridge is far from dead. I have two dedicated progressive reloaders for the .38 Special cartridge.
I shoot a M1911 pistol .38 AMU in my matches and .38 Special out of my .357 Magnum revolver for target shooting that is easy on the wrist.
There are many newly made revolvers in this caliber and finding loaded ammo is almost impossible out here.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never fear if you reload with cast and gather brass.

I have 4 .38's and shoot 'em all often as I can.

3 SAW cans of reloads on hand now. Need to get

out and pop a bunch of caps. Doubt a good search

could find even one factory load other than

rimfire on the place. That's by design!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
My favorite round.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found magic, for accuracy, that .358" 158 grain cast bullets over 4 grains of W231 in the 38Spcl. I think if a shooter could hold steady, it would stack bullets at 40 yds. in my Taurus model 66.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I've never heard of anyone using 231. I have over 10# of the stuff, should try it myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it works great on top of a 158gr. swc for target shooting.

I generally use it [231] under a 125gr flat point bullet for ground squirrels out to about 50yds. in the Dan Wesson.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load and shoot thousands of rounds of it each year.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load the same charge with Red Dot.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have burnt nearly a dozen pounds of Win 231 in my 38 spl guns. I shoot a lot of 148 hollowbase wadcutters and 3.2 gr of 231 with stellar accuracy especially in my Python. And of course it's my go to powder for 45 acp 200 swc's.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
231 is a great powder in the. 38 special. I have been loading 5.0 grains with a 125 grain bullet for my wife and she can shoot it all day comfortably and with great accuracy.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the link below, Skeeter used 38 special cases with some of his loads.

My Friend, The .357
by Skeeter Skelton

Shooting Times Magazine
June 1988
http://www.darkcanyon.net/MyFriend_The357.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also load 231 or HP38 in my 38Special and shoot it by far WAY more than any cartridge/gun that I own and it's been that way for 5 decades of shooting now.

Like other s said, "far from dead"

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Excellent article by skeeter by the way.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
To answer the OP's question directly - yes, I still load lots of it. In fact, there are a few hundred cases in my tumbler as I type this. Have to get ready for the warm weather shooting season!

Great article by Mr. Skelton and still as relevant today as it was then. I'll digress slightly and express my personal preference for the 38/357 platform. Can be dressed up or down and handle most anything one would want to do with a handgun. It's my EDC and my backup EDC cartridge.

I've had excellent results with a lot of different powders when reloading; trying some of the relative newcomers to the market. American Select and CFE Pistol both give great, consistent results with a variety of bullet weights while still remaining very clean-burning.

One of my favorite loads to goof around with is the ancient Bullseye and 148gr HBWC round. For me 2.7gr of the powder cuts a nice, precisely round hole at 25 yards with about zero recoil.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Apart from the 22 rim fire, the 38 Special, 357 Magnum and 44 magnum are the most used pistols here.

We mainly cast bullets made here, and almost exclusively recovered powders from other items.

Shotgun shells that have become corroded, we recovered the powder from them and use it.

Works great, regardless of type.

We were given a large drum with naval flares, which have expired years ago.

The gentleman who brought them here said they were going to destroy them, then thought I might have some use for them.

He laughed when I said I will open them up, and see what powder they have.

They were 4 different size/types.

They all had smokeless powder, of different type.

Regardless, we mixed the lot and got several kilos of it.

As I was going to load some to test, he said "I think I might go up and get a coffee!"

I said "We have a coffee machine right here, so stop being a wimp and watch"

He got on the phone and called a friend of his "I am at Saeed's. You know those expired naval flares we wanted to destroy? Well he opened them up. Mixed all the gun powder, and he is going to shoot it now. If you don't hear from me in the next half an hour you know what happened!"

I loaded a 357 case with 2.5 grains of this powder, and fired it in a Colt revolver.

The bullet got stuck in the barrel!

Loaded 7 grains in a case, and without seating a bullet, used that to get the bullet out of the barrel.

Then tried 5.5 grains, with a 148 cast bullet.

890 fps and shoots very well!

That is it.

Works like a charm!

He called his friend again and said "well, we are all alive. Our friend is not as mad as we thought.

He got it all working without blowing us up. Wait until I tell the Boss!"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Saeed
Excellent story!
The .38/.357 will be around for a very long time to come because it simply works as it should.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Good story indeed saeed. I have always been very strict about using published data (even after we quit using Copper units of Pressure) I loaded using that data for years so your experimentation is not so far out of line. The old Lyman manuals that worked with CUP that we loaded + shot regularly is strictly taboo in the new PSI manuals. And yes the 38/357 will be with us for a while. (I hope).

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I use Vihtavouri N310 in my S&W k38.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote