New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts help?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ordered a Ruger ultralight chambered in 257 Roberts. The rifle will not be in my hands for another month or so but I plan on getting some loads ready to try in it while I have a little free time.

My Hodgden and Lee manual both state 45 grains as max. with H-414 and 100 grain bullet but my Hornady manual has 46.7 grains as max. I want to get an accurate load at or near max. velocity but don't care for the thought of having to pull a bunch of bullets or work up a load thats fine now and be to hot for coyote hunting during the summer months.

I will be using Hornady 100 grain I-Locks, Winchester +P cases, and cci-large rifle primers.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load 46 grains of H414 in my RL ruger.
My bullet of choice is the barnes tripple shock.
I,ve fired it in my low numberd springfield too and seen no problem. that being said the hodgden web page shows a load and gives a presure figure too,
I get 3140 and good groups with the ruger and this combo.
If you have any acuracy troubles with your ruger let me know.
. PM me and I,ll tell you how I cured mine. My seating depth for the 100 grain hornady flat base is 2.930, witch is .010 off the lands. Of course yours could be much diffrent but hell you need a place to start.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Thomas, that info is very helpfull. I was just going to seat them long and then finish seating when I got the rifle.

Also, I definately want to give the 100 grain TSX's a try in this one but don't think the yotes will complain to much about the Hornadys for now Big Grin That's just what I have on hand.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I can't really comment on H414 but I have had superb results with IMR4350 and Sierra 100gr. GameKings. Velocities are over 3,000 and approaching 3100. I've since switched to a 117gr. Sierra GK at 2750 fps for better accuracy. BTW, my rifle wears a 20" bbl.

I can't remember the detail off the top of my head, but IMR 4350 (and H4350) are pretty much the go-to powders for the Bob.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R-P cases
100 grain Nosler ballistic tip seated to 2.78"
primer WLR
powder IMR 4350 45.5 grains
~3050f/s from my 24" bbl FN

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I can't remember how much, but my 257 rob. just loves H380. It's not as popular as it used to be years ago but I've worked up loads for several different calibers with it and they all do very well, sub MOA isn't a problem.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My new Hawkeye likes so far R-P brass 100 Sierra Gamekings,44 gr H-414 WLMRP.
Still flerting with seating depth,and getting around an inch or a little over outside to outside.

Don't own a crono,but book says 3,000 or so.
Very pleasant to shoot.
Mike

Posts: 8 | Location: Breckenridge,Texas | Registered: 13 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I to have had very acurate loads with my ruger using IMR-4350. My velocity is not so good though.
My custom springfield does not like IMR-4350 very well.
IMR-4064 gives lots of Roberts fans great servece.
One negative about the H-414 Is that it sure is a dirty powder IMR-4064 burns clean !
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
I'll cast another vote for IMR-4350. I use a near maximum charge under Sierra 87 and 100 grain bullets in a Ruger M77. Consistantly under 1 MOA for 5 shot groups

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote