New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crushed Glass Media
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend gave me some crushed glass media. I put in a few cases. They came out clean but a matte finish with powder residue on them. The primer pockets looked untouched. Overall I was not impressed.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a new one. Might work if the media is small enough.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crushed glass sounds nasty to me. I'm thinkin'n crushed and ground being the same. Or is it pretty much the same as glass beads?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you have a household pet, I wouldn't even consider using it. Glass dust will inevitably get on the floor, and just as surely your pet will walk in at least a little of it...maybe a lot of it. Then, as sure as night follows day, he or she will lick their paws clean.

Welcome to potentially large, expensive, problems.

I'd just use something like walnut hulls which, in small amounts, is not nearly so likely to be both expensive AFTER its use in your home, and potentially deadly to your best friends.

For that matter, glass dust is deadly to YOUR lungs too, when inhaled. As with asbestos, it doesn't kill quickly, but it DOES kill, sometimes with great pain.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Correct AC. Silicosis is not a good thing. In some it can be acutely harmmful, others after prolonged exposure. This is what may have killed the philosopher Spinoza, as he was a glass grinder.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I say don't use it.

Posts: 17184 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Not to mention glass hardness trumps your dies inner case hardness

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
With all the other better medias,glass would be the last you want to use. I'd hate to get any into my eyes or lungs.
The best out there is:
Treated Corn Cob
Walnut shells(crushed)
Stainless-steel blobs/pins. ( last forever can be a chore to get out of .22 cal and smaller necks.)
I've tried ceramic and other media with poor results.
Common BB's work well but rust like the dickens when exposed to the air if used wet.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 447 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy crushed walnut hulls at pet shops. The last I bought was $15 for 25 pounds. That is the cheapest I have found for small quantities and it works just like the expensive stuff you can buy from a gun shop.

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I say don't use it.

Exactly!

One way or the other, you will get something nasty from this!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67517 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious minds would like to know: why would anyone even consider using ground glass as a polishing media?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
It's used for removal of coatings and for surface profiling......way too aggressive.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The friend that gave me the media works at a shop where they work on electric motors. Guess it has a use there.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
A friend gave me some crushed glass media. I put in a few cases. They came out clean but a matte finish with powder residue on them. The primer pockets looked untouched. Overall I was not impressed.

Glass is way too hard, that is why your cases are coming out with a matte finish and not polished, they are being worn not polished. Try crushing up glass in a quarry rock crusher you'll soon see the difference in wear when putting glass through, bad news, ditch it.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
You're using the wrong kind of glass.
You have to use crushed flouresent tubes to get all the Mercury goodness!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Crushed glass equals sand.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crushed glass is an abrasive, no different than sanding your brass clean. Even if you wanted an abrasive there are better ones for soft metals than glass.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote