Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 colt vs 45 acp bullets
 Login/Join

posted
I reload rifle but a friend is looking to get into reloading his 45 long colt shells. I have been looking on Midways site and I am wondering if the bullets I am looking at that don't specifically call out acp, are good to go to be used with the long colt shells. I appreciate the help.

Posts: 2 | Location: Syracuse N.Y. | Registered: 24 March 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Revolver bullets should have a crimping groove or cannelure so a roll crimp can be applied. Bullets for auto loaders are held in by a taper crimp so usually have no crimping groove.

Posts: 22 | Location: W. KENTUCKY | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line - he needs to get bullets with a cannelure no matter what the box says.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With some trepidation and misgivings can I be allowed to present my input ?

The 45 long colt is an 1870's vintage revolver cartridge with a rim for "head spacing".

The 45 ACP is a more modern semi auto that head spaces on the front of the casing neck.

Generically, in conventional wisdom, the wide spread belief is that revolver cartridges are roll crimped while autos are taper crimped. Partially accepted but not entirely true.

Midway is showing many bullets of a vast selection. Come copper jacketed and some lead. Many jacketed are NOT showing a cannelure.

The understanding of possibilities has to go on to the die sets. In reality any lead or copper bullets in 45 caliber can be loaded in the 45 long colt. with or without crimping grooves or cannelures. Doesn't matter about the ACP nomenclature. Any 45 that fits the calibration can be loaded.

Other isssus come into play. What will the bullets be used for? What volume? What economics? For example if shooting holes in paper lead cast is more economical.

Fortunately for us we have a land of plenty with many inventive geniuses always ready to produce something new.

The Lee Factory Crimp Die will crimp 45 long colt bullets with or without cannelures or crimp grooves. And do it economically, under $12 for a die!!!

https://fsreloading.com/catalo...aUwcQCFUnl7AodR2MA6A

I have them.

So take a look at your new die sets and also look down the road at reloading powders.

The key feature is in the die sets.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For standard loads, a crimp is not necessary and you can certainly use a bullet without a crimp groove. I do it all the time. You can actually put a small crimp right into the lead bullet. The bullets won't jump out unless you get into the hotter loads for a Ruger. But there are plenty of bullets that do have crimp grooves so get those. If you can't find them, you can use ACP bullets.
I don't use taper crimps either; no need. Just make the bell back straight. If you expander plug is right, your bullets will stay in.
Forgot one thing; if you are shooting a tube mag rifle, then you do need and want a good crimp; or use a case full of black powder.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the groove diameter .452 or .454? Older Colt revolvers were .454.

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
Is the groove diameter .452 or .454? Older Colt revolvers were .454.

Good question. Unfortunately the answer lays within the province of each owner who has to slug the barrel.

But here's some data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Colt

You will note the spread/discrepancy in bullet diameter lays within the areas of lead bullets vs copper bullets which are the spread you question.

To reconcile this each gun has to be subjected to barrel dimensions.

In any event - good alert scrutiny. That is what it takes to be on top of the game technologically by interested aficionados.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most modern barrels will be .451 or 2. So the makers only have to make one barrel size. Yes, slug your barrel and find out but if it is a new gun (meaning made in the last 40 years, it will be of the smaller size. More importantly, how big are your cylinder throats; if they are smaller than your bore, the gun will never shoot.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a revolver, the diameter of the forcing cone of the cylinder chambers is more important than the diameter of the barrel.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Stonecreek said, plus one.

I gave up on a Ruger after slugging the cylinder throats and finding they varied from .453" to .456". The forcing cone was .456" as well. I sent it back to Ruger, and they said it was within specs because "the 45 Colt cartridge is not a target round, and it was within specs..."

I got that in writing, and after receiving the letter posted it on every pistol site I could think of. I also included a copy with the article I wrote. The editor smartly opted not to run it without a few revisions. Like every line that was not complimentary, and all of the targets. I fixed it by getting a 44 Magnum cylinder, and having it chambered. Throats were all .4525", and a new forcing cone of .454" installed.

I strongly suggest slugging everything before buying any revolver these days.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty compelling. Disturbing.

The issue originally was the old 1873 Colt vs the post WW2 colts. And the disparity between the pre war and post war manufactured guns.

Lymans 48th edition specifies the LEAD bullet recommended for the old original Colt.

Check with Lyman and Midway.

posted Hide Post
I thank everyone for their input.

Posts: 2 | Location: Syracuse N.Y. | Registered: 24 March 2015Reply With Quote