New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load development .375 H&H assistance request
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please help with load development recommendations.
I am loading Barnes 300 gn TSX trying to get 2400 fps and good accuracy. Due to projectile length it uses a lot of case space and limits the useable powder quantity.
On hand I have Varget ( AR 2208 ), W-760, H4350 ( AR 2209 ), IMR 4064, RL 19. I don't want to use any of my remaining RL 15 or RL 17 as these are reserved for other calibres and generally unobtainable here currently.
Shooting a 24 inch barrel
Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Too bad about the RL-15. If you can't use that, the next one I'd try would be IMR 4064.

What do you have to get 2,400 fps? My preferred approach would be to tailor the load to best accuracy. One or 200 fps either way isn't going to matter.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always used W760 with 300gr bullets in the 375H&H.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gadget did very well for me in the past. VV N550 was even better but I don't know how available that would be for you.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got great results with H4350 (2209) and 760 with 300gr bullets in my rifle. Varget would be my last choice, it was dirty in my rifle, but may give you the velocity you seek.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
66.5 grains of IMR 4064 is my default load for most 300 grain projectiles using W-W Super cases and Fed 215 primers. There is a lot of room left in the case. I get an honest 2450 FPS in most if not every 25" original pre 64 Win 70 that I have owned.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
66.5 grains of IMR 4064 is my default load for most 300 grain projectiles using W-W Super cases and Fed 215 primers. There is a lot of room left in the case. I get an honest 2450 FPS in most if not every 25" original pre 64 Win 70 that I have owned.

66-67 grains of IMR4064 with the 300 grain TSX works great in my 375 H&H. Sub MOA and 2450 - 2480 fps.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416RigbyHunter:
I got great results with H4350 (2209) and 760 with 300gr bullets in my rifle. Varget would be my last choice, it was dirty in my rifle, but may give you the velocity you seek.

Cheers.
tu2

Interesting - I couldn't even fit the start load of H4350 (2209) in the case with a 300 gr Hornady SPBT unless I compressed it to the extent that the bullet was showing a ring round the tip from the seating die - Remington cases.

So I went to Varget.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
RL15 is my choice for 300TSX. Easy for you to get to 2400. I get what you are saying on not wanting to use up your stash. So this is what I would do. Go to Midsouth Shooters Supply and buy Norma 203B. It is the exact same as RL15. They have had it in stock for months.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I ran the 66.5 IMR-4064 through my QuickLoad program. With a Barnes 300 grain TSX it shows it to be WAY over pressure. Listed max for 375 H&H Mag is 62366 PSI.

The program says load for 300 TSX is 67036 PSI. The 66.5 was below max with Nosler partition 58729 PSI . Over pressure for Nosler Accubond 66337 PSI. Hornady DGX 56937 PSI.

I realize ever gun is different.
I'd say always err on the side of caution! Be careful out there!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 grain projectiles I have definitely used with the 66.5 grains of IMR 4064, WW Supers and Fed 215 are:

Nosler Partitions
Hornady RN
Hornady DGX
Hornady DGS
Winchester Silvertips

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I ran the 66.5 IMR-4064 through my QuickLoad program. With a Barnes 300 grain TSX it shows it to be WAY over pressure. Listed max for 375 H&H Mag is 62366 PSI.

The program says load for 300 TSX is 67036 PSI. The 66.5 was below max with Nosler partition 58729 PSI . Over pressure for Nosler Accubond 66337 PSI. Hornady DGX 56937 PSI.

I realize ever gun is different.
I'd say always err on the side of caution! Be careful out there!

That's interesting Rusty, I'm still shooting my brass with over a dozen reloads using 67 grains of IMR4064 and the 300 grain TSX.

The Lee second edition manual lists 67 grains of IMR4064 at 52,000 CUP with a 300 grain bullet seated to 3.600"

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I get the best results in my Sako 375 with W-760 with both the 285 and 300 grain bullets.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Frank,
QL says that 67 grains of IMR-4064, 300 grain TSX 24 inch barrel is 68529 PSI. Big red warning text says Load 3.6 % compressed. DO NOT USE.

I checked IMR Powders site. They say with a generic 300 grain SIE SPBT bullet 65 grains is the max load at 51,100. I don't have a Barnes manual.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use your reloader 15. It will save you lots of time and trouble. Great powder for the 375 H&H.

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry all for not attending to your replies on my post, but many thanks to all for the comments, suggestions, recommendations. I really appreciate your help. Taking your info I have been busy making several trips back and forth to the range sorting out a load that works. So, at this stage I have two loads. Shooting Barnes TSX 300 gn, OAL 91.50 mm ( 3.602 inches ), 24 inch barrel, Federal 215 Magnum Primer, Norma cases, and wanting ~ 2400 fps avg.
IMR 4064 - 64.50 gns, 2400 fps avg.
W-760 - 72.50 gns, 2393 fps avg.
And happily, from the bench, both shooting to the same POI into 3 shot groups of no more than 1 inch.
Result !
AR 2208 ( Varget ) was also quite good but wouldn't group as consistently as IMR 4064 or W-760. IMR 4350 was too slow. Couldn't get enough in the case with the long Barnes TSX to achieve the fps.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. I have always found IMR 4064, RL-15, and Varget to be very similar in application, but one of those would work better than the other two. IMR 4064 was always best in 375 H&H and 8x57mm. I agree IMR 4350 is slower than these three and not in the same burn range at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with W760/H414, which are now from the same company. It has good density and measures very well....I haven't used it with the 300TSX.

My quickload experience with my two 375's has shown that (like straightwalled cases) an increase in case volume is required to modify the output to match the velocity and pressure that is developed.....anyway, start low but I would work up and aim for 75 or even 77g.

In short, your 2400fps goal is very achievable, even with my 21" barrel.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In short, your 2400fps goal is very achievable, even with my 21" barrel.

Yep, got a couple of loads now doing 2400 fps. Started low and worked up ( my usual method ) and got to the final loads in short order.

Actually, after my original post lamenting the shortage here of RL 15 I was buying primers at one of the gun shops I use and lo and behold they had 3 lbs of RL 15 in the cabinet. Seems a small shipment of Alliant powders arrived without fanfare in NZ and went out again almost immediately as some shooters had asked to be notified as soon as any powders arrived. Sadly I was unaware and missed out on RL 17, another favourite of mine, but at least I feel better now with some RL 15. 3 lbs will keep my .375 H&H going for almost a year.

One plus of the RL 15 shortage was that I was forced to experiment with other powders I had. Good thing the .375 H&H is not extremely fussy. The alternative powders shoot every bit as well as RL 15.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
30.06king.......... we are having the same problem here in Canada. The stores that handle reloading supplies put in orders but never know what they are actually going to get when the shipment arrives. It can get very frustrating at times. A shipment of popular Alliant powders simply vanishes within a few minutes when it does come in.

Besides RL 15, I have also had good luck with W-760 and had no trouble getting 2500 fps with a 300 grain bullet out of a 24 inch barrel.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyline, I guess you and I are in the same boat as far as shortages go, especially with powders. During the last 5 - 6 years we had had projectile, primer and powder shortages at various times. For us I would say the outlook is probably not good, and I think shortages has become the new normal here. One result is that I have become something of a hoarder now, buying up a bit of quantity when a favourite something becomes available.
I ask the gunshop guys here who used to say it's the American shooters snapping up all the production. Now they just shrug their shoulders and say they don't really know the answer.
In contrast to our NZ situation I was in Missoula, Montana in October visiting a few of the local guns and ammo shops. Most had shelves loaded with a healthy variety of powders that left me staring in disbelief. My brain was desparately trying to concoct some scheme by which I could take some home as baggage. However, not so many projectiles seen but I was lucky enough to grab a few Barnes TTSX that I like.
I backed my .375 load down to ~ 2400 fps, both to reduce recoil slightly and to get 3 different projectiles shooting to the same POI at 100 yards. So far that seems to work OK at 2400 fps. The slightly lower MV will also make the powder supply last a little longer !

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
I always used W760 with 300gr bullets in the 375H&H.

+1

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I use 70.5 gr of Norma 203B with Norma brass, CC #250, and Barnes TSX 300 gr at 3.57" 2,575 FPS with a SD<3 in a 25" barrel.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote