Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL-22 Data (30 Cal.)
 Login/Join

posted
I've been going round and round trying to get some 30-338 data for Alliant's RL-22 and a 180 gr. bullet. I even called the powder manufacturer and he couldn't tell me anything. I've always been able to use 308 Norma Mag data for a starting point, but I couldn't come up with any of that either.

I've always used 4831 and have for the longest time wanted to try something else. The RL-22 comes highly regarded from some and after working up I found that I was able to shove as much RL-22 in my cases as they could handle.

With a 180 gr. ballistic tip seated about .010 off and 72.5 grs. of RL-22, I have a load that is not compressed and shows no sign of pressure. I could probably get 73 grs. if I worked at it, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. I'm going to shoot for groups tomorrow so I'll learn quite a bit here shortly, but I don't have access to a chronograph.

Would anyone care to estimate what kind of mussle velocity I might obtain from a 26" barrel and the fore-mentioned load. I would also be interested in hearing feedback on Alliant powders as well as other 30 cal. mag success stories regardless of the bullet weight or powder manufacturer.

Thanks in advance.

posted Hide Post
I guess nobody has anything to offer, but if anyone else is interested, I shot some fantastic groups this morning with the previously mention load and would recommend anyone thinking about trying Alliant's RL-22 in their 7mm or 30 mag to go ahead and try it. I'd be real surprised if you didn't have fantastic results.

Maybe I was just lucky, but the results were far superior to anything I'd ever done with 4831.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RL 22 is a real good powder. Clean.

But my 300WM, seems to like IMR 4831, and H4350, a little more. Better accuracy...for up to 175gr. bullets..sakofan..

But, no flies on Rl 22 either.

I've stated this sooo many times. RL 25, 300RUM, 180gr. bullets, LETHAL!!!

[ 09-17-2003, 12:56: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hoping to find a load for my buddies 308 Norma using the same powder, but that would mean I have to use a lot of mine. I am curious to run it through the gun just to see what kinds of pressure I'd get though.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Steve Ricciardelli shows the following for the .30-.338 and 175-180 gr. bullets:

MRP - 65.7 gr. to 72.2 gr., using WLR primer
( http://stevespages.com/308_3_180.html )

Due to the very close similarity between MRP and RE-22, this should get you in the neighborhood.

It looks like he found IMR 4350 to be his preference, though. You may want to give it a try, as well.

***As always: start low, then work up.***

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
You might try www.reloadernest.com This web site carries load data for the 30-338mag.

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote