New
Find
Notify
Tools

using long bullets to reduce cartridge capacity
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'll try to make this simple. I want a cartridge that is good for 200 yards. Really. That's all I need. In looking at reloading for the typical cartridges like 308, 7'08, etc., I see that the typical accurate loads are still a bit more than I need. I'm looking for something that gives me 2500 - 2600 fps and easy on the recoil.

I'm wondering if using a 260 remington or a 7'08 with heavy for caliber bullets would give me what I need. For example, take a 260 remington with a 140 gr. bullet. Get that bullet down into the cartridge a bit to reduce capacity.

Most people want to get that bullet out as far as possible to squeeze the most out of the cartridge. I understand that. I want to do just the opposite, but maintain the consistancy and accuracy of using a smaller cartridge that is filled to 95% - 100% capacity of powder.

Is there any downside to this?

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Google "Hodgdon Youth Loads"

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 savage would meet you demands perfectly

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
260 Rem

Speer 140 DeepCurl

http://www.speer-bullets.com/b...s/detail.aspx?id=255

Speer 140 Hot-Core

http://www.speer-bullets.com/b...s/detail.aspx?id=280

Both shorter bullets. Seat'em deep and plow down what ever it is you want.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know that seating the bullet deeper would serve any purpose but I do know that 140gr bullets are sudden death on deer when fired from both the .260 and the 7-08. I've never thought of them as "heavy for calibre" bullets in the .260 or 7-08.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 140 gr. bullet in a 260 rem. has a sectional density of .289. The 160 gr. bullet in the 7mm cartridges has a sectional density of .286, the same as a 190 gr. bullet in a .308 cartridge. These are heavy for caliber bullets.

In this line of thought, pushing a 140 gr. bullet down into a 260 rem. case might emulate a smaller cartridge. All (or nearly all) the empty space left can be filled with powder, which generally is a good thing.

I'm just looking for information. Will it behave just like a smaller case? Are there any downsides to having the bullet down in the powder, out of the neck?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornWith the .260,easy on recoil but adequate for deer to 200 yds; 120 gr. bullet at 2550 fps.with 40 gr. ACC 4350. SEATING THE BULLET EXTRA DEEP IS A NON ISSUE! Roll Eyes
The 7-08 with a 120 grain bullet, light recoil,use 37.5 gr. of ac 2520 or 34.5 gr.ac2015 , velocity 2550 fps. fishing The heavier bullets will only yield more recoil. No premium bullets needed. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true. Recoil is a product of the ejecta being sent down the barrel. More powder, more weight of bullet, more recoil. There are other factors but those are the two constants.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just use a reduced load of 4895.
when my kids were little i used from 30 to 36 grs of 4895 for reduced loads.
i still use reduced 30 cal loads that mimic 30-30 velocity's with 30-30 bullets.
when i got littlegirls 7.65 argie built for her to hunt with, i worked up a reduced load of h-322 and a filler.
with a half jaxketed lead boolit i designed for the argie pushing along at 2200 fps.
she has taken all of her deer except one with that combo [and i got my but chewed for not bringing the argie when i picked her up from school to go out]
she quickly forgot about the argie after taking a nice 3x4 [plus eye guards] with the 7x57 later that afternoon.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote