New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 180 grain bullets?
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
I have load data on a 180 grain bullet for my WSM but can't find any 180 grain bullets. Who makes them?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes makes a 180 grain round nose bullet. I've seen them but I'm not sure where you can get them.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would stick with 150's, I've never recovered one.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
Midway use to have them.
Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure a 1 in 10 twist will give you the best accuracy, or even any accuracy at all, unless you are planning to shoot at ranges less than 100 yards. I wouldn't argue the point with any conviction, but it is something that springs to mind. Like the fellow said above, 150 grains are hard to beat, as is the 140. The 140 is close to a 180 grain .30 in sectional density.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
MOA, Nosler makes a 160 grain partition semi-point that should stabalize well in a 1 n 10 twist barrel and it has a longer shank behind the partition(for penetration) than the 150 grain partition. Barnes does make the 180 grainers in their "Original Line" of bullets but they are about to faze that line out as they want to concentrate solely on their X-style bullets now. They are a roundnose that shortens them up a bit for easier stabalization. Go to barnesbullets.com and they have a page of the list of dealers that sell their bullets. Buy them now while they are still available, and they "are" still available. Try some and see if they work.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
We often seem to have an unreasonable, immediate negative reaction to shooting heavier bullets in the .270 cal. Especially in light of the fact that nobody seems to think twice about shooting similar weights in, say, a .280 Rem. with the same 1-in-10 twist.

This has always puzzled me.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<MOA>
posted
Thanks guys, I think I'll give the 160 partition a try. I'm trying to fill the gap between the 270 WSM and the 338 Ultra. Maybe I should just buy a .30.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding of twist is that the length of the bullest is the deciding factor, not weight.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I think Barnes makes a 180 grain but I will stick to 150 grains they work great on large animals

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote