THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I tell pressure signs in a lever action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
With the 45-70 in a Marlin 1895gs, 40K pressure is the max. This isn't enough to cause any primer deformation or flattening, or do anything to the case. How do I tell when I have a max load, before filling my face with shrapnel? So far I have been really cautious, but I would like to work up if possible.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is only one way - PRE. You would want to follow the PRE portion of these Instructions.

CHE will not work because the Pressure is too low. And using a Chronograph won't work because it doesn't tell you anything about Pressure.

You must follow the Instructions - exactly - and use a 0.0001" capable Micrometer as directed. Anyone can do it just as it has been done Safely for well over 100years.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
There is only one way - PRE. You would want to follow the PRE portion of these Instructions.
CHE will not work because the Pressure is too low. And using a Chronograph won't work because it doesn't tell you anything about Pressure.

You must follow the Instructions - exactly - and use a 0.0001" capable Micrometer as directed. Anyone can do it just as it has been done Safely for well over 100years.

Best of luck to you.
While this might work using Buffalo Bore or Grizzly 45-70 ammunition, which is the only commercial ammunition available that approaches the maximum average pressure of 40,000 CUP, with the method described by Hot Core, there are problems extending that methodology to new brass. Neither company makes the brass they use available to reloaders as new brass. So, using Hot Core's method you would be limited to using the fired brass from either Buffalo Bore or Grizzly ammunition. How many firings, from which the brass changes from its virgin state, will it take to make such measurements unreliable?

Mic McPherson came up with a way to develop maximum loads for Marlin lever guns chambered with straight-walled (slightly tapered) cartridges in a 1994 Handloaders Digest article. PM me if you want the gist of it.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Sent you a pm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
easy. use IMR 3031 and a chronograph. it's pressures are low enough that the chrono will keep you out of trouble.

I get 1800 fps with a sub-max load with 400-gr bullets. the pressure for the max load is 27,000. way below 40,000.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Or get 2400fps with H4198 @ 40k with 300 grainers. Flattens trajectory a bit.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
My 4th Edition of the Hornady Reloading Manual has specific loading data for the 1895. I would follow that data. I don't know if the new manual has the 1895 data or not.

The 48th Edition of the Lyman reloading manual also has data specific to the 1895 and their pressure readings are kept around 25000 C.U.P.

There are two manuals that would allow you to cross reference your prospective loads.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
...with the method described by Hot Core, there are problems extending that methodology to new brass.
I agree with jackfish that there are some Tricks to this. Fortunately that is covered in the Instructions.

quote:
using Hot Core's method you would be limited to using the fired brass from either Buffalo Bore or Grizzly ammunition.
That is a common misperception, but simply incorrect.

quote:
How many firings, from which the brass changes from its virgin state, will it take to make such measurements unreliable?
That is also covered for those of you who might be interested.

Best of luck to you all.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
You missed my point completely. The reloader cannot obtain new brass that is equivalent to the brass used in the Buffalo Bore and Grizzly ammunition.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
quote:
You missed my point completely. The reloader cannot obtain new brass that is equivalent to the brass used in the Buffalo Bore and Grizzly ammunition.
Actually, I understand that and did not say it well at all.

Once you use the Buffalo Bore Factory Ammo to establish a Comparable Benchmark Standard(CBS), then you reuse those same Cases to Develop your Loads in.

Once the Safe Max Load is known, you can easily work the Load back up in other Cases - while still watching CHE & PRE for Excessive Pressure "Indications". I agree there are some small tricks to it, but CHE & PRE simply works.
-----

Try it and you can see for yourself. Once you get past the incorrect notion that it won't work and actually follow the Instructions, you can see for yourself how well it works. Then you will see how badly you have been mislead by folks who just don't understand Basic Reloading.

Best of luck to you.