New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 742 .308 Win trouble
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend brought me his rifle to work up a deer load for. I took the rifle to the range today to do some load testing today and had the worst time with this rifle. The first shot in every group went 3-4" high and about an 1-2" to the right of the rest of the shots. Is this par for one of these rifles?
I was loading fairly light charges of WW-748 (started at 45.5 gr and went up to 47.5 with a 150 gr Sierra). So, I am wondering if that is not normal, and the groups discounting that first shot got tighter as I increased the powder charge, should I continue going higher with the charges with 748 (assuming no pressure signs) or should I switch to another powder?
My thinking is that maybe the powder has too much room to move under recoil causing the first shot to be out of the "group". Help, I only have 1 1/2 weeks to come up with a load. Thanks, Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Loneeagle, First, I'd dump the 748, being that it's a dirty powder, and get some H4895 or Varget, and RE15 wouldn't be a bad choice either, I've loaded for 308 auto and used 45.5grs. of Varget with decent reports from the shooter, 47 is the max, but I notice Sierra has a max of 44.8grs., I've used CCI and Fed210M primers with very good results, No reason Remingtons won't work just as good.
Next, Are you shooting the first shot with a slightly oiled barrel? That may or may not be why the first shot is going astray. I use kroil after the Sweets and Shooters Choice, then wipe the Kroil with 2 clean patches before I shoot.
Is the rifle equipped with a decent scope, and are the mounts sturdy and tight? Just something to check. Remember, Stay away from max loads with an auto, I usually load 1-1&1/2grs. below max for autos, Good luck, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lone Eagle
If Jay's loads do not work in that 742 try 39.5gr. of IMR 3031 with a 165 Sierra HPBT GameKing, or a Nosler Partition, depending what type of bullet performance your friend wants.
I have been using this load for over 25 years and have never found a 308 [in good condition] that would not shoot this load. Bolt, lever, single or semi-auto, they have all shot this load well, most very well.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey LoneEagle, The other guys may have the answer, but I suspect it is something different.

A lot (read that as a WHOLE LOT) of Semi-Autos display a similar charasteric from the very first Cartridge coming from the magazine.

Apparently it has something to do with the way the "Bolt Seats" when the initial Cartridge is sent to the Chamber by "hand". Then the remaining Cartridges are sent to the Chamber by "recoil".

This won't help solve the problem, but it "may" pin point it. Try shooting a 3-shot group, BUT only put one Cartridge in the magazine at a time. Of course that means all 3 will be entered into the Chamber by "hand".

However, when you put the 3rd Cartridge in the magazine, go on an fill the magazine. Then see if the remaining shots move outside the first 3-shot group.

If so, it is probably the "Bolt Seating Problem". I don't know of a way to correct it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Lone Eagle
I owned a 742 Carbine for years and three things helped it to be deer hunting accurate (about 1 1/2 to 2moa)
1 use H4895 or 4064. They are military based powders designed for 308 in auto rifles (has the proper presure time curve to operate weapon and work efficiently)
2 seat first round from the magazine by briskly pulling operating handle to the rear and letting the bolt fly as it somewhat matches the way the other rounds are seated.
3 keep it clean (gas system included).
that along with the usual suspects (scopemounts,crown etc) should help.
good luck

[ 11-06-2003, 22:25: Message edited by: covey16 ]

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
seat first round from the magazine by briskly pulling operating handle to the rear and letting the bolt fly as it somewhat matches the way the other rounds are seated.

This is a common cause in automatics.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
[/QUOTE]The first shot in every group went 3-4" high and about an 1-2" to the right of the rest of the shots. Is this par for one of these rifles?[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid it is! I have seen a couple of BAR's in .308 that did the same thing exactly! The first round OR two went into a group about 2" to 3" above, and offset from, the next three or four.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying this is your problem but something to check. My grandparents both used 742's in .308 & .30-06 and the '06 was doing a lot of wierd grouping. Turns out the barrel was loose in the reciever. Scope is solidly mounted but barrel moves all over. If it has iron sights try shoot a couple without the scope if nothing else works.
I also agree with racking the bolt back and letting it go vs. handling the bolt softly fwd to lockup.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote