New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mercury recoil reducers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I always wondered if the mercury recoil reducers worked. I had my gunsmith install one in a new Ruger #1 45-70. This afternoon at 75 yards with a scope, I got a shotgun pattern of 6-8 inches. I took the unit out of the buttstock, and the group immediately changed to bullet holes touching. Plus, the perceived recoil reduction was very little, and the unit made the rifle very butt heavy. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Posts: 75 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 05 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the exact same question as I have used a number of them in sporting clays shotguns with great results (have done actual side x side comparisons). I also noticed that HS Precision uses them in their custom guns. One question: did you make sure the reducer was absolutely locked and /or bedded in place. If they are allowed any play in the stock they can really create damaging vibration

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
Ultraman

I'm innterested in your experiences with these in shotguns. Always wondered if they really worked. Have had some people tell me that all they actually do is add weight.

I know it is a little off of this topic but could you tell me more.

Thanks,
Mike M

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You bet. I was in the middle of a competition when my gun broke. I borrowed a friends gun (modified Browning Citori Sporting w/32" bbls) and shot the best score that I ever had. After reenacting this at practice I bought one and developed a severe flinch. The guns had identical specs that tend to help with recoil and muzzle jump (backbored, ported, lengthened forcing cones and a Kick-eeze pad)except my buddy's had an 11oz mercury reducer fitted in the buttstock. Prior to putting one in mine I shot the guns alternating one after the other with same loads. The difference was very noticible. I fitted one in mine and some 25,000 rounds later I have them in several guns. With the long barrels it really helped balance the gun as well. All the physics boys will tell you is that you cannot actually reduce recoil energy, you can only slow it down. Slowing it down works. Two products are on every shotgun I own; Kick-eeze (sorbothane) pads and mercury reducers.If I find that it throws the balance off I simply bore the stock further to the midpoint before installing or go with a lighter (8oz) one. They also make versions that ride in the magazine tube (ex. Win Mod 12) or go in the dead cylinder of a trap gun. I have not tried it in a rifle yet but notice HS Prec. has them on their web site. They are the only rifle folks I have ever seen mention them (???)

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally consider them a damn joke on a gullible public...They make a gun heavier, thus they work to that extent..They also take the balance right out of it unless you put lead in the forend...then it really gets heavy....

If the recoil is bad, get smart and use a muzzle brake..Use hearing protection on the bench and I'm not bothered in the field by muzzle brakes...A gun without a muzzle brake will deafen you, it did me over the years of hunting....Goes with the terratory.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mercury recoil reducers I have work great. The physics behind it is that the recoil forces the mercury through a small aperture in a long tube, thereby dissipating some recoil energy and spreading recoil out over time. I notice that the recoil has less bite and jab when a mercury recoil reducer is in place (or preferably two or three of them).

But I guess I am gullible. Whatever the reason, I shoot heavy calibers better with mercury than without.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Ray to some extent about their POTENTIAL to upset balance as I would anything you hang on a gun (like a long bull barrel or big scope) but make no mistake...they do work. I had seen them questioned in print which is why I took two IDENTICAL guns, one with a reducer and one without, set them on a stool, picking one up and shooting a crosser, then the other, several times back and forth and their was definatly a difference. As to balance...that is critical in clays, espicially with a low-gun mount and can be played with. It is not like shotguns (or any other gun) come from the factory balanced. You take a model of gun that is offered in 26", 28", 30" and 32" bbl's I guarantee the 28 and 30 is going to need some weight offset in the butt end. I've shot may way into AA with it anyway. Ray, I think this is the first time I have seen something I disagreed with you about....I still love you man,

one of us
posted Hide Post
U-man,
Well thanks, thats all that counts.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote