New
Find
Notify
Tools

again on flyers.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am just back from the range; I shot 10 rounds at 200 m.(219 yards) with my Ruger Ultralight
.270 W, equipped with a 2.5-8x36 XIII Leupold. My load is 54 g. of Vith. 160, Ballistic Tip 130 g. 0.2 off the rifling, WLR primers, Rem cases, but about once every 10 shots I have a bad flyer 6 or 7 inches on the right and 2 or 3 low from the center, always at the same place. The rest of the group is ok for me and for my needs (3 inches). I wait 2 or 3 minutes between the shots. Every suggestion is welcome. Thanks. Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildboar: How about bench technique? I've got a Ruger Mod. 77 that really whips when I touch it off. I've had similar experiences as you at 200 yds. I've got to really hold the fore end down. Gee, you seat bullets to 0.20"? I've found my best accuracy to be with the bullets seated about 0.010" off the lands, but if it works.... Haven't tried your powder so can't make a comment on that. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooops! it's 0,02 off the lands.....thank for your reply, Bear.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Get somebody else to take some shots with it and see if their groups have the same flyers to the same spot.
I would expect it to be the shooter rather than in the rifle. The reason I say this is because most of the time the hardware is the culprit, the zero will change and stay that way until things cool off.
The other thing I would look at real hard is the load. Try a box of good quality factory ammunition with a bullet weight that your rifle likes.

<green 788>
posted
Every .270 I'm aware of will shoot the factory Winchester 130 grain Power Point (Super-X) extremely well. My old pre 64 will shoot this stuff into 3/4 MOA easily, and I have a few 1/2 MOA groups that I shot at 200 yards with it.

So if you can find any, as mentioned above, try it...

My next suggestion would be to swap primers and see if things don't tighten up. Although the afformentioned Win factory rounds presumably use the WLR's, I've never had very good luck with WLR's when accuracy mattered. If you're shooting close to MOA with the WLR's, a switch to CCI 200's may get you even tighter.

Try the CCI's, and you'll see what I mean...

Good luck,

Dan Newberry
green 788