New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case trimming blues..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This has probably been done to death, but...
I decided today -after a bruise in my hand- to retire my old Forster rig. So what's the hot setup with a power rig? Is there anything better/faster than the collet case holder?

[ 08-18-2003, 05:31: Message edited by: Pedestal ]

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Measure the case length with a dial caliper, chuck in your lathe, then turn the neck down with a dial indicator to correct length. It goes pretty quick with a little practice.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
Measure the case length with a dial caliper, chuck in your lathe, then turn the neck down with a dial indicator to correct length. It goes pretty quick with a little practice.

Don't think that would be very practical with small cases. But it does give me the germ of an idea. If you mounted the collet in the lathe...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Pedestal,

May I suggest you get yourself a Wilson trimmer?

There non better. We trim literally thousands of cases, and found this to be the most accurate and easiest to use.

We have tried all power operated models, none of them are as accurate as the Wilson.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sinclair sells an adapter for the Wilson that allows you to use a battery powered screwdriver. It works very well. Speed and accuracy. ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee sells one also, that I use in my cordless drill. Cordless screwdrivers usually don't have the speed or battery life to do hundreds of cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'v got a Wilson and swear by it for rifle cases.I use the power screwdriver att. and it is fast and accurate!But I recently started reloading for pistol again and discovered that it kinda sucks for that! They tell you the cases have to be pressed into the cartridge holders with an arbor press or tapped in and out with a dowel. Don't have an arbor press and the tapping in and out is SLOW to say the least!I'll probably pick up a Lee or something cheap for that.I am disapointed that they(Wilson) can't come up with something better for pistol cases.
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips, folks. I'll take a look at the Wilson. Uh, anybody got a URL?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my Wilson trimmer Kit from Sinclair International.

http://www.sinclairintl.com

I recomend the kit with the "stand" and the clamp for the shell holder.

The trimmer is not only very accurate for length but it also cuts the neck square to the body. If you really want to you can also Square up the case head?

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe not the most high tech, and arguably not the most exact, but the absolute fastest is a Lee trimmer. Chuck the cutter up in the drill press, and dispense with the shell holder. Just use your fingers to hold the case, and let the pilot bottom on the table. You need a good spot on the table, or a flat-ground plate to do this, but it is super fast!

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At one time I was forming 357 Harret rounds from 30-30 brass. This required opening up the brass to .357 diameter and trimming almost 1/4 inch off it. I got me an ELECTRIC Lyman Trimmer and have been satisfied with it ever since. RCBS, makes one. Who else I do not know. If you do lots of cutting the Tungston Carbide Cutter might be a good investment.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jsr

The new "Q-type" pistol case holders for the Wilson trimmer work pretty well - these have a small steel bar that wedges the case into the holder against the case rim. You do have to keep the "lock" bar in the same orientation to get a consistant case length.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sinclair sells a power adaptor for forester trimmer for 9.95. I have trimmed with one of these and a power screwdriver for several years. very fast and seems very accurate to me.

Posts: 41 | Location: shawnee, ks. usa | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote