Notify
Tools

Re: primer sealing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted
No.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NO !

Sealants are a total waste of time and money.
Unless you plan on swimming with the ammo.

Travis F.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Nope, unless you are loading for underwater usage...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used primer sealant once, don�t know if I managed to use it incorrectly, but I got a lot of pierced primers on the rounds I had sealed. No pierced primers on unsealed rounds loaded with same components/charge. I used a commercial product (forget the name), which is still available from some of the mailorder suppliers.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you need to seal your primers, for making powerheads used for diving, use ordinary transparent nail varnish.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
No.

<JOHAN>
posted
JohnCharlieNoak

Interesting. I heard that Lazzeroni uses some loctite product for their ammo. I never tried ot my self.

What is the easiest way to seal primers and bullets?

This is an perfect excuse to prowl the beauty shops and get to know new girls

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Layne Simpson did the torture test on ammo in Handloader about ten years ago.
George and Roy's primer sealant works well. It is essentially semi-clear nail polish slightly thinned with nail polish thinner (who'da knew?). You can make your own for $1.79 versus $9.95 a bottle.
You can seal the bullet end of things with the tar you buy to put on trimmed trees. That is what is on the ass end of pulled military tracer ammo. Just a dab will do ya. It'll seal ammo up tighter than Hillary's cooter.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not all factory ammo have sealed primers - it depends on manufacturer, and sometimes even product line. Military ammo is (always?) sealed. Commercial, sealed ammo - RWS springs to mind.

I doubt there is any difference between unsealed factory and unsealed handloaded ammo as far as water "proofing" is concerned.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in the rain alot,,,When it rains no work so I go hunting,,,,

I had thought about this as well,,,I have never had a factory round misfire though..Is a typical handload sealed as well as a factory round?

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote