Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Grand Slam 180gr loads for 308win
 Login/Join

posted
I got a box of 180gr Grand Slams that I would like to use on moose.
My problem is that I can't find any recepies for Grand Slams and Vihtavuori powder.
Does anyone have any reloading data for this combination?

-finnwolf-

Posts: 4 | Location: Finland | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 180 gr. bullet is a 180 gr. bullet is a 180 gr. bullet as far as data is concerned unless it's an X-bullet or a Ballistic tip. This page has data for a 180 gr. Hornady SP, it should work for you.
Yardbird Vihtavuori .308 data

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, that link doesn't work, the page is
www.lapua.com/vihtavuori/rifle/.308win.htm
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post

[ 11-18-2002, 04:32: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thats almost true Yardbird... [Wink] but still all bullets aren't the same..

Here is an example:
Lapua and Sako both manufactures a FMJ 123 grainer. The max load with N133 that Lapua lists is about 2grs(I'll have to look up the exact figures! I can give them tomorrow) smaller than the one that Sako gives for their 123 grainer. [Confused]

Yesterday I got a recepie from Speers manual that says 45gr of N150 is max for their 180 grainer and Vihtavuoris max load for Hornadys 180 grainer is 44.5gr of N150. The max loads are consequently the same.

The reason vhy i asked in the first place was:
1) In my oppinion all Vihtavuori(and Lapuas) max loads are a little modest
2) since I dont have a cronograph but dont want to make any "soft"-loads and still want to play it safe
I wanted to ask people on this forum for recepies explicitly for Speers 180 grainer for the reason mentioned above..

Thanks anyway!!!

P.S.
What I learned from this discussion was that Vihtavuoris recepies should work for allmost any bullets!.. [Wink]

-finnwolf-

[ 11-18-2002, 16:39: Message edited by: finnwolf ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're right as far as the manuals are concerned, I prefer the Nosler manual because those are the bullets I shoot, but I think the next one I buy will be the new Hornady manual, I've looked it over and it's a wealth of information, especially for single-shot pistols, which is what I am getting into now that I've moved to Iowa. I don't like Hornady bullets, but that's another story, I"ll gladly use their data and work up to it.
Yardbird

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by finnwolf:
...but still all bullets aren't the same..

Yesterday I got a recepie from Speers manual that says 45gr of N150 is max for their 180 grainer and Vihtavuoris max load for Hornadys 180 grainer is 44.5gr of N150. The max loads are consequently the same.

...I dont have a cronograph but dont want to make any "soft"-loads and still want to play it safe
I wanted to ask people on this forum for recepies explicitly for Speers 180 grainer for the reason mentioned above....

Hey finnwolf, You are on the right track, but you have forgotten one HUGE variable - the actual firearm being different. Just because a particular case/primer/powder/bullet combination works SAFE and is accurate in one rifle, does not necessarily mean it will be SAFE and/or accurate in your rifle.

I agree that I don't want "soft"-loads in my rifles either. I want a SAFE MAX in all of mine for normal hunting.

Also agree it is a good idea to ask around about what has worked well for other folks. But, I disagree with thinking they can provide an actual Load that will work the best in their rifle "and" your rifle too (aka MUC Loads).

I'd recommend you simply compare the Load Data from as many Component Manufacturers Manuals as you have access to (some are on the net) for 180gr bullets, see what appears to be MAX and then "work-up" your Load from below, while watching for all our typical tried and true Pressure Indicators.

Having a chronograph is certainly not necessary to develop a SAFE MAX Load. It does provide one more bit of information, but not having one in no way inhibits your ability to develop a good Load.

Some folks seem to think there are "shortcuts" to finding a good SAFE MAX Load - they are Full of Beans.

Good luck to you as you work up your Load.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Mads>
posted
Finnwolf - I'm 100% behind Hot Core.

You can use any load data for 180 grains bullets and Vit. powder as long as you work up YOUR load!

For full power loads with 180 grains bullets in .308 win I use!:

RWS 5333 mag primer, Norma brass and 50,0 grains Norma 204.

Regards

Mads

P.S.

It's my exsperience that I get better vel. with Norma powders than Vitha.... single base powders.

posted Hide Post
Hot Core
My intention isn't to directly copy somebodys load and I'm aware of that I'll have to work up the load myself and I'll do so..

Mads
It's hard to find any other powder brands than Vihtavuori here in Finland.. [Frown] Vihtavouri on the other hand can be found in every gunshop

Thanks for the help!

-finnwolf-

[ 11-19-2002, 15:00: Message edited by: finnwolf ]