Find
Notify
Tools

Real powder and primer manufacturers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
Because I know for example a lot of Hodgdon powders are made by ADI, a lot of Alliant are made by Nitrochemie AG and others...

So who are real manufacturers of powders and primers and what are "brands only"?

It is hard in this world to get any information even who makes fish cans, because everything is just brand now.

Jiri

Posts: 2108 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You will never know of what you seek......
Look at any car or truck; who "makes" those?
At least 100 different companies. No maker actually produces all the parts.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Hodgdons website has the Safety Data sheets for all their powders the sheets providing the manufacturer details of their powder e.g. Thales (ADI) for the Aussie produced powders and St Marks for all their spherical powders.

Other powder suppliers should also be publishing the Safety Data sheets for their powders too.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vista outdoors Ie Federal ect has their own primer manufacturing plant.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Vista outdoors Ie Federal ect has their own primer manufacturing plant.

I wonder if that is part of the Remington buy out? Vista bought Remington ammunition. They were the biggest purchaser of Remington's latest bankruptcy sell offs. They also own Speer, RCBS, Alliant powders etc.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info.

So for example, do you think CCI and Federal have each own primer plant or is it made at one place?

Jiri

Posts: 2108 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Thanks for info.

So for example, do you think CCI and Federal have each own primer plant or is it made at one place?

Jiri

When they were separate companies.

I thought they did.

Now that they are under the roof of Vista.

I don't know.

Would be a shame if they have shut down one of them.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Shortly after the Obama election, primers were scarce then too. I have a friend who is a wholesaler in Houston who managed to find me a lot of 1000 LP primers (Federal). I was having many cases of non-ignition. Seems that since there were no primers available stateside, Federal was outsourcing to China + we know what their quality control is like. I have been reluctant to buy Federal products since then. Maybe improvements have been made.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You will never know of what you seek......
Look at any car or truck; who "makes" those?
At least 100 different companies. No maker actually produces all the parts.

Well, powder and primers are quite a bit different from cars. Cars are made from many components manufactured by different contractors and brought to one place to assemble them.
Powder and primers are processed into a finished product in one place. CCI's are still made in Lewiston, Id, to my knowledge, and Federals in Minnesota. I'm guessing that Remington has consolidated its component and ammunition manufacturing in Arkansas, but I'm not really current on it.

Hodgdon, now the powerhouse (and effectively a monopoly) in powder distribution in the U.S. has never made any powder, except for its star-crossed relationship with the Pyrodex plant it partially owned which blew up, killing the Pyrodex inventor. Hodgdon powders are sourced from Australia, Florida, and Canada currently; and possibly some other places since in the past some have come from ICI in Scotland and maybe some other places.

Vihtavouri is made in Finland. Norma's and some of the Alliant Reloader line come from Bofors Sweden. Other Alliant powders are from Nitrochemie in Switzerland.

They don't put the nitrocellulose in one place and ship it to another place to add the nitroglycerine, and to a third place to coat it with deterrent -- it's all done in the same place. So, regardless of where the distributor is located, or what "brand" is on a powder, it was manufactured in one place which can be determined with enough research.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For many years I shot from 2000 to 3000 rounds per year with .223 Rem up to .416 Rigby. My rifles and many rifles belonging to friends and relatives. My son, grandsons and great grandsons have never fired factory cartridges. I don’t shoot that much now but still 1000 plus rounds per year perfecting loads for all my buddies. For the last 30 years I have loaded only federal match primers because historically they gave the best accuracy. I also shot thousands of non match primers before switching to the match because of accuracy. I have never had a primer failure. According to Federal information their primers are manufactured in Minnesota. Just my two cents worth. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Olin and Vista (CCI, Federal and Remington) make all the primers in the US although I don't think Remington is still part of Vista? Regardless I heard both Olin and Vista said recently they will not be releasing bulk primers for sale for the remainder of 2022. Don't know if this is fact but it's being repeated lots of places.

A group out of Texarkana bought an old Army munitions plant in Carrolton, Texas and are refurbishing it for commercial sales of ammo and components. Supposedly they have some limited ammo on sale on the web site but if they are still trying to hire significant numbers of people it must be re-packaged imports.

I also don't understand why permitted manufacturers like Aquila haven't stepped up to fill the void. Or any other overseas ammo manufacturer. Hell of a profit opportunity. Likewise, Wolf still has a year on the existing import permits out there. I know they sold primers at one time because I have several hundred large pistol primers. But those are probably committed to the current Russian military debacle.

One wonders if interference is being run by you know who.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But those are probably committed to the current Russian military debacle.

My Dad told the story about very limited ammo supply During WWII.

I have made sure it wouldn't happen to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not believe that the manufacturers will not release more primers for the rest of 2022 because it doesn’t make financial sense.

Yes, they do maximize profit by making fully manufactured ammo rather than selling components, but they will not have a powder, bullet, or brass business to speak of if they do not sell primers.

So more realistically, they will release primers in reduced quantities to match the scarcity levels of powders and brass in order to maximize demand/sales.

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they sell themselves bullets, brass, primers and powder.
they could give a crap less if they have any extra to sell to reloaders.
they are still selling them.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote