Find
Notify
Tools

accu-bond
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what exactly is the accu-bond, and what are its advantages? [Smile]

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
The Accu-Bond is a bonded core Nosler Ballistic Tip. The lead is chemically bonded to the jacket, to raise weight retention, thus penetration. Also reduces chances of core/jacket seperation.

http://www.nosler.com/accubond.html

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excuse my ignorance, but is that the same thing as a partition with a polymer tip?

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bang
A partition has 2 lead cores, 1 in front and one in back of the "partition". Picture the letter H with lead above and below the crossbar. It is also a flat based bullet with a exposed lead nose.
The BT's (new or old) are a solid based (thicker at the bottom than at the sides) hollow point boattail design with a single lead core (the plastic goes into the HP)
If you look around at the Nosler link (above) you will see secioned bulets of each style.
 -  -  -

[ 02-09-2003, 21:35: Message edited by: Tailgunner ]

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answer guys [Smile]

<eldeguello>
posted
I think these Accubond bullets will be as good as any other single-core bonded bullet, and they have some unbelievable B.C.'s!! Like .588 for the .308" 200-grainer!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Then consider the Hornady interbond. It is the bonded version of the SST. Best thing is it is sold in boxes of 100 for $31.99 in Cabelas 2003 shooting catalog. It looks like the interbond will have a higher BC than the accu-bond.

I bet the Nozler accu-bond will be twice that, has anybody heard the price?

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
I really like to think of the Nosler Accubonds as more than just bonded Ballistic Tips. The Ballistic Tip is, in my book, a deer bullet (and a damn good one). A bonded deer bullet makes no sense unless you are shooting hyper velocity cartridges at close range. The Accubonds are so far being offered in weights that are moderate/heavy for caliber--Nosler doesn't even make a 160 gr BalTip in .284 cal or a 200 gr in .308 cal. This increases the BC but it also decreases the velocity (not a bad thing). Initial reports (read: rumors) say they are obtaining the same penetration as the same weight Partition in that caliber. I will be first in line for the 160 gr Accubonds in my area and plan on loading em in my 7mm Rem Mag for deer, black bear, and elk.

BTW--I consider everything under 160 gr in 284 cal a deer bullet. I hunt elk, hence my excitement at the Noslers. The Swift and Hornadys seem redundant and frankly, useless.

Someone asked for the price of the Accubonds. Midway USA is planning on having them in April. They are, last time I checked, suggesting a retail price of $18-something for the 200 gr .30 cals and $17-something for the 160 gr 284 cals. I am betting this is per 50.

[ 02-11-2003, 04:46: Message edited by: FarRight ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I expect penetration between bonded cup/core and (Nosler) partition to be about a wash due to weight retention vs. frontal area.

I will spend the extra 45 cents per animal for either bullet and avoid any unbonded cup/core bullet because occasionally I cannot surgically place my shot between bones.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
Well its about time these bullet company�s finally came out with bonded core bullets. The hornady has more weights offered in 7mm 139 and 154 which is smart thinking, many 7mm shooters will like the 139grn weight.

My only concern is if it has the same secant o-give ( Very low on the bullet) as the SST. Many guns will not be able to seat the bullets close to the lands for great accuracy. I had this problem with the SSTs in several 7mm guns.

Nosler seems to only offer the accubond in only 160grn. I feel they should have made it in the 140grn as well. If there design is after the BT it will chamber well in almost all rifles that like to be close to the lands.

Now there is also another bonded bullet that is custom made that is extremely accurate and lethal on game. The NorthFork 140grn He also makes a 130grn and 160grn in the 7mm I can attest these bullets are accurate and retain 95 percent of weight and make big exit holes. I shot a coyote with a 130grn and it went through made a huge hole on exit side and went 8 inches into a tree.