New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Chargemaster question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased the RCBS 1500 and have a quick question...

My 1500 seems to have a problem metering granular powders accurately...it took me 16 tries to get ten (10) loads of 50.0 grains of Varget...some of the rejected loads made it to 50.4 grains... with the average error around .2 grains...

I tried IMR 4350 (even longer grains) and the chargemaster needed 14 tries to throw 10 rounds at 58.0 grs...

Is this normal ops for the chargemaster? Having to throw powder back in the hooper sure is time consuming....

Thoughts/observations would be appreciated.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Something seems wrong, you should contact RCBS.

Mine meters those powders with ease and is very precise. Of course, it's only 2.5 months old, so time will tell.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never experienced the problem you are having, however my Chargemaster Combo is back in California with bad keypads on both the scale and dispenser. And it's not the first time.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine also tends to drop .1-.2 more than setup. Someone mentioned they had set theirs set to drop less by these amounts and trickled the difference if it dropped the right amount. H4350 seems to be a villain as well as RL22 for me.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always set the dispenser to pour .1 grain less, then trickle the rest with the trickle button if needed. thumb

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions...I called RCBS and they also recommended setting to a slightly lower charge and then trickling to desired weight.

Sounds like this should do the trick. Thanks again.

Cheers.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey kreyten

I believe the RCBS Chargemaster to be an excellent powder thrower. For short cut grains like RL powders I set the dispenser for .2 or .3 grains less and for the longer powders I set it for .4 grains less.

I don't use the trickle button since that sometimes drops way more powder than I want. After the dispense beeps and you wait 5 seconds it will display the actual weight.

For example in this instance I want to measure 60 grains of powder so I set the dispenser to 59.7

It actually threw 59.9 gr

So I take a very small screwdrive and dislodge 3 or 4 grains off the end of the spindle until it hits exactly 60 gr

That way I never go over and always measure exactly the amount I want.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My PACT which is over ten years old drops them right on every time not more than plus/minus .01 ever.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
It took me 3 different chargemasters until I recieved one that worked correctly. The last one I recieved a year ago is a new model one just like the one shown in the picture above and it has worked great....

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same thing happen with mine, sometimes over never under. I keep a small scoop to dip the occasional overage out and keep on truckin'. And yes, the problem is mostly with IMR 4350 and 4831.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote