THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    300 win Mag - 76gr RL22 w/ 180gr. Partition Question

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win Mag - 76gr RL22 w/ 180gr. Partition Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've noticed that this seems to be a bread and butter load for almost any .300 Win Mag. My question is:

What sort of velocity are you guys seeing with a 24" barrel?

What primer are you using, the Fed215 or the Fed210 or 210M? I've read that groups are tighter using the 210M than the Mag primer.

I've been neglecting my .300 Win Mag for a while now and think I'll try working up to this load. Let me know your thoughts.

Jeff

Posts: 38 | Location: Madison | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
jpothof,

That's exactly my load for my Browning A-Bolt, and it worked nicely on the Gemsbok in my signature as well as blackbear and numerous other game. I use Fed 215 primers and get right at 3100 fps. But...I also moly coat bullets for that rifle....so pressures and/or velocity may be different than what you may get. My accuract is outstanding, usually about 1/4"....but I also have the BOSS that is tuned nicely for it too. Start low and work up!

[ 10-09-2003, 17:30: Message edited by: TXPO ]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
with fed 215 3050 fps

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 300 Win Mag with the following load (Extremely Accurate)When I do my part it will shoot 5 shot groups that you can cover with a dime.
Brass: Winchester
Primer: Federal GM215 match
Powder: Rl-22 load: 76.5
Bullet: Nosler 180 Grain Ballistic Tip.
This is being shot in a custom Remington Action Single shoted, 26" douglas Match grade heavy barrel set in a McMillan Stock
If you want to try this load please note that you should slowly work your way up to it.

[ 10-10-2003, 00:32: Message edited by: Handloader ]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too get 3100 fps in my 300 A bolt with this load, but, I had another a bolt that showed signs of pressure with the same load. Bolt was very heavy so be careful. Accuracy was outstanding. The first time I shot it the hole in the target just kept getting a little larger. 10 shots were inside 1.5 inches.I know a high power rifle shooter that goes to Camp Perry every year and has won the Wisconsin title 8 times and uses the same load.He is a professional match rifle builder named Randy Gregory and he says if a given 300 won't shoot 74 to 76 gr of Rl 22, it won't shoot.

Posts: 14 | Location: Wis | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
My .300 Win mag, which is a post 64 Model 70 Winchester, likes 78 grains of RL-22 and a Fed 210M primer, with 180 grain Nosler Partition or North Fork. When I change lots of powder I back off, some lots like only 76 grains. When I use the Fed 215M primer, my groups grow to 1 inch or 1.5 inch from one hole. Each and every barrel in an individual unto itself, as is each lot of bullets and powder. [Wink] Good shooting.

[ 10-11-2003, 17:08: Message edited by: phurley ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
76 grs is my std load and I get a little over 3100 in my 24" barrel...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote