Find
Notify
Tools

Re: RCBS 505 1.1 gr increment .....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Afrikaander,

Believe it or not, I just looked for and found the instructions for my RCBS scale which I bought in 1980.

I intended to repeat the instructions for changeing the lead shot in the pan that hangs from the beam. BUT: there is no mention of those lead shot. However, if I shake that pan I can hear (and feel) them rattle. I do remember decideing to remove the screw and remove a piece of shot.

The instructions say to place the base on a level surface. Then with the beam and pans in place, set the scale to zero, and turn the screw on the base at the opposite end of the pan until the pointer lines up with the zero mark.

PS. As a funny, when I set the scale up today and tryed to zero it, I was off by about 70 grains!!! As I sat there staring at it, I thought something looked funny. Like the pan was aluminum colored instead of copper colored. As I searched, I found the right pan and it zeroed perfect. The aluminum looking pan was from my electronic scale and was way heavier than the proper one.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, when I take the sale to the range, or even in the shop, i find that zeroing at zero isn't the perfect solution.

I wil zero it at zero, and then check it with several bullets, which are usually pretty close. Then I'll zero it with the bullets on it (say it's 3 150gr bullets, I'll zero it at 450)

it seems that the weight on it helps to balance it out...With no weight on it I suppose it's bouncing around a bit, even though it's pretty much imperceptable...

i suppose I should invest in some check weights, though

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I have just discovered that my quite new RCBS scale (model 505 bought all together with the Rock Chucker Supreme reloading kit) always shows 1.1 grain more than the real weight, that �s a full grain more than is supposedly guaranteed - and expected ...

The only "good thing" about this is that the difference is always the same and constant, if I weigh 54.00 grains, the "reading" of the scale is 55.1, if the weight is 45.8, the scale shows 46.9, and so on ... all this proven with various scale weight check sets (both lyman and RCBS own�s)

I know that the practical way of solving this is simply to "add" 1.1 grain more to the desired weight (referenced to that "already proved" load or reloading table) but ... It is just that I don't get used to the idea to have an scale giving THAT difference with the real weight

Is this an acceptable difference ? or is it due to something that could be properly checked within its various components (and eventually repaired) by myself ?

I don�t live in USA, so sending it back to RCBS is not my first (nor the most economical !) alternative ....

Suggestions would be really appreciated !!!!

Thank you all in advance

Martin

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should set the scale to zero with nothing on the pan. Called zeroing the scale. If you do this, then it won't be off by 1.1 grains at zero.

I have an old RCBS scale and the pan comes apart and has lead shot in it to balance the scale.

Anyway, tell us that you balanced the scale and read zero when it should.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Thank you, JerryO .... but my scale is the mechanical type, the model 5.0.5 ....

I don�t know if this type could be zeroed by myself ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one that I use all the time. I had the same problem in that I ran out of adjustment on the screw leg. I removed one piece of shot from the pan holder. That was TOO much, so I simply cut it in half and that solved the problem. Gets a good zero and measures consistently. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sundog, but I don�t understand very well the procedure you did to solve that problem ... can you explain it to me step by step ??
I don�t want to risk myself to break my scale or to make the problem even worse ....

<eldeguello>
posted
You set both graduated weight slides (or dials) at zero. It sounds to me like when you do this now, with the powder pan in place, of course, your beam pointer is now pointing 1.5 grains above the center of the scale?? If so, then screw the base leveling screw in (DOWN) until the base is raised sufficiently that the beam pointer points exactly at zero (or the center of the graduated scale) rather than the 1.5 grains equivalent distance above that center point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put your scale together with both pans..set the dial at 0 grs. then balance it on the left side (base leveling screw) until the swing dial rests on zero..better to let it center by moving both ways equally from 0 as to let it settle to a stop...

Don't monkey with the pan, that won't work, it will just get you into trouble...Scales are factory set.

After its set, it has to be correct, but if you don't believe it the get a set of scale weights and double check it..

I am curious as to how you determined the scale is off 1.l????

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if all else fails.............call the excellent customer service people at RCBS and I can assure you they will resolve any and all problems that you may have with your scale. As this is a mechanical scale and other than the foot adjustment is not "consumer adjustable" for zero ....why bother RCBS will fix it.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote