Find
Notify
Tools

22.250 AI testing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I needed something else to shoot while the 375 H&H was cooling down so I did some load testing with the 22.250 that I had re-chambered to 22.250 Ackley Improved.

With the Barnes 50 grain Varmint Grenade, 41 grains of CFE223 got me almost 4100 fps, I should be able to go up one more grain so I'll try 41.5 and 42 grains of powder on the next trip

The 69 g Sierra Matchkings weren't shooting well until I got to 36 grains of CFE223 then it tightened the group right up at 3200+ fps. I should be able to squeeze at least 38 grains into the AI case so I'll test up to that next.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Nice performance from that screamer. I have two questions:

1. What's the barrel length on the rifle?
2. I'm just about to start testing CFE powders in my own guns. Having heard good things, what are you impressions of CFE223 so far?

Thanks,
Brandon

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My barrel is a 26" PacNor Supermatch, three groove with a 10" twist. The 50 grain Barnes won't stabilize in the 12"-14" twist barrels.

CFE223 is giving me good velocity and performance in the 22.250 AI, and the 375 H&H with light bullets.
It may be the dirtiest powder that I've ever used though. Honestly even with the good performance I may not buy it again because of how dirty it burns.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

It may be the dirtiest powder that I've ever used though. Honestly even with the good performance I may not buy it again because of how dirty it burns.

No way! shocker One of the main reasons I wanted to burn some of these new propellants was because of how clean they are supposed to burn. Any comments on the fouling or lack thereof? Does the "CFE" part work at least?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

No way! shocker One of the main reasons I wanted to burn some of these new propellants was because of how clean they are supposed to burn. Any comments on the fouling or lack thereof? Does the "CFE" part work at least?

My 375 H&H copper fouls more than any other gun that I own. It still has copper streaking in the grooves with the CFE223 so I can't say it's any magical fix. It is disconcerting to see black carbon fouling in the barrel after three shots though.

One of my friends tried it in his 223 and he says CFE doesn't stand for "Copper Fouling Eraser", it really stands for "Carbon Fouling Extreme"

Frank