Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tight fit 300 WSM
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 300 WSM Tikka with match barrel was a 338 win mag. Using winchester brass and redding dies. Unfired brass easy to chamber but some cases a little tight. With once fired cases are really tight. After some examination it appears the case shoulder may be tight point using a marker and bolt closing is with alot of force. This wipes the writing on the case head around the primer due to the cases being locked in and bolt rubbing case due to tight fit. I've tried different positions on sizing die with no difference so now I'm wondering if this problem can be fixed and if so how???? What effect on accuracy. Interstingly all my once fired brass is perfectly concentric after being 1-5 thou out before as unfired brass. What effect on accuracy is this tight fit having if any and should I be concerned...Rene

Posts: 3 | Location: Marathon, Ontario | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may be off base, but I am still fiddling with a 6.5 WSM. I understand I am necking it down and brass may be thicker, but your description sounds exactly like my instance. I need to neck turn brass slightly. My neck is reamed at .298. I am turning necks to .2935. Measure a loaded round and try to find out what the specs of your reamer were. You should have at least .002 on each side of a chambered round. You also, having a match chamber, may need to either adjust your die so you are really "caming" over your press when resizing, or actually take a few thou off your shell holder. Any way to check how much you are bumping the shoulder back??

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rene Cadene:
I have a 300 WSM Tikka with match barrel was a 338 win mag. Using winchester brass and redding dies. Unfired brass easy to chamber but some cases a little tight. With once fired cases are really tight. After some examination it appears the case shoulder may be tight point using a marker and bolt closing is with alot of force. This wipes the writing on the case head around the primer due to the cases being locked in and bolt rubbing case due to tight fit. I've tried different positions on sizing die with no difference so now I'm wondering if this problem can be fixed and if so how???? What effect on accuracy. Interstingly all my once fired brass is perfectly concentric after being 1-5 thou out before as unfired brass. What effect on accuracy is this tight fit having if any and should I be concerned...Rene

Sounds like you got a well made chamber. Check to make sure your necks are not too tight.

Insert a fired case into yor resizing die. Measure how much it protrudes from die. Measure your shell holder from top to bottom. Should be 0.125.

Chuck die in a lathe and reduce length of case so that fired case protrudes 0.002 less than shellholder measurement.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote