New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading at the range.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With Spring around the corner, that would be a very nice way get a lot of load work done and enjoy the weather to boot!!!

Any tips on setting up at the range?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
Any tips on setting up at the range?

For pistols, a progressive can be taken to the range. It can be all you need to reload at the range.

I have my pro1000 (and all my other presses now) mounted on a 2 foot long 2x8 (or 2x6, 2x10) such that they can be clamped most anywhere on any bench.

Since lee uses volume (disk holes are marked by cc's) and the volume (to weight) will have been verified, I can set up a chrony, load 5 rounds and verify that they are accurate, consistant and work the action (for an auto).

To change disks, I just lift off the turret, flip it upside down (with the powder measure lid attached) and change the powder disk. Of course changeing powders at this time is a natural.

Changeing calibers is easy, but 1 caliber a day is enough for me.

PS. A dillon 550 would be plenty light enough, but how you set the powder measure might be a problem.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Green 788,

That was a great link!! Thanks.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've done it once with the Lee Loader for my 308, found a load it liked which used one of the standard dippers and it worked out pretty well.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I mount the gear on a 2X8 and clamp it to a bench.

You need to keep the scale out of the wind, even if the breeze is light.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions for a small compact scale to go w/ such a setup? I'm itching for a shop project for the table saw that some relatives are storing in my shop [Wink]

I'm considering something like a Pact BBK2; small, battery powered, and few pieces/parts to keep track of inside the range box. Unless of course someone else has a better suggestion [Wink] Alternat choices I guess would be a RCBS 502, or a small Redding, if I have to use mechanical (certainly less $$$)

Thanks,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had/have a similar problem in that my reloading equipment is mounted quite a ways from any available shooting place.Consequently there used to be a lot of trips between range and reloading location for developing loads!That all changed when I switched to using the Wilson Arbor press.I carry resized primed empty brass,fill the powder "at location" and then place the bullets with ultra precision and far easier than before with the arbor press.Cuts out all the travel!

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use an RCBS Uniflow, 5-10 scale, and an old RCBS RS (it is a JR3, basically) press in a box similar to the one shown in the link. Keeps the wind from affecting the scale's accuracy.

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote