THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Sportsman's Whorehouse Albuquerque....Flippin' Idiots!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sportsman's Whorehouse Albuquerque....Flippin' Idiots!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
30 minutes ago they where F'ing idiots, but I've calmed down since then!

Here's the short version....

Go there to buy some Retumbo. They have 8 pounders and 1 pounders. They pull the 8 pounder out for me. I figure I'll never use that much as it's just for 1 hunting rifle so I told them to just give me 4 - 1 pounders. The clerk tells me NO, that they have a 2 container limit. I ask why and he says "because people are hoarding". Confused

So I say "I can buy 2 - 8 pounders?" to which he says "yes".

I told him, "I just want 4 pounds" to which he again says the company policy is NO, only 2 containers Mad

I then told him that it makes absolutely NO SENSE and that what I wanted was the opposite of "hoarding".

I tried to reason with him, "leading him to logic but you can't make people think".

I then told him, "So, it's fine to buy 2 - 8 pounders which is 16 pounds of powder, and not 4 - 1 pounders which is 4 pounds of powder?" to which he says yes, with a straight face I might add! bewildered

What the F%$K!?????!!!!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with the clerk you mention, he is following store policy not set by himself.

2 containers.

I understand your point perfectly but understand his. He is following "bosses orders"

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have asked to see the manager.

A while back the comany was in serious financial trouble, you would think they would see the logic in your thinking, and want to make a customer happy.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The point is that the people setting the policy are idiots, not the clerk.

Does this make sense to anyone that customers can buy 16#s of powder but buying 3#s is not allowed because it is considered hoarding?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did ask for the manager.

He came out and promptly told me that that's the way it is.

Morons

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
So enter the store twice and problem is solved.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Demand to speak too the Stores Operations executive . Voice your frustrations in their direction !.

Any more you're extremely lucky if the person with which your conducting any transactions ,can actually speak

English and properly give the correct change !. If you've ever been inside a large outlet store which is all

computerized ,in regards to their cash registers and the power goes out ; GOD help you !.

Because he's the ONLY ONE who can !. Pray this NEVER happens too any of you !!!.

The doors lock down nobody can total a receipt, they can't figure tax and absolutely are CLUELESS on

deciphering our monetary system, in respect to making change !.

I'm not one who gets really upset over much however;I wonder WHY WE AS A NATION ARE PISSING AWAY

BILLIONS OF $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ON EDUCATION and for WHAT ?. When these people can't even do basic daily

functions !.

I do agree with Ted ; Those showbots are only following a directive from management !.

An management is the one who is in need of an ass chewing !.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they didn't put some limit on it they wouldn't have any at all. Around here other dealers are just cleaning them out. I'm all for reasonable limits.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:

God Bless, Louis

Yeah, buy two pounds in singles and go to lunch. Come back an hour later and buy the other two pounds...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Whadaya expect in New Mexico? Big Grin

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
If they didn't put some limit on it they wouldn't have any at all. Around here other dealers are just cleaning them out. I'm all for reasonable limits.

Dude,

and all you defending this policy with the same moronic logic.....

16#s IS MORE THAN 4 POUNDS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the reason they limit to two one-pounders and allow two eight-pounders is because most people will buy the one-pounders for the very same reason you want one-- or two. I resisted getting a Costco membership for the longest time because I only need to buy a small amount of Product X-- not twenty pounds of it. I did get the membership because I will need to buy tires soon. I got the membership in March and have yet to buy a single thing there...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

God Bless, Louis

You got it! Grocery stores do it all of the time. Just go back again or bring a friend next time. When you have x number of units in inventory, you have to devise ways to ration it out if you anticipate demand outstripping your supply.

Posts: 3685 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the one pound canisters move much better then the 8 pound canisters.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are floating down the stream of life and there is a rock in the middle just go around it. Arguing with idiots does not change things it just brings you down to their level.

Besides I lived in New Mexico. LOVE THE STATE. but if you are looking for sparkling intelligence weeelll I don't think that you have come to the right place. popcorn

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I told the clerk that I was going to do just that; take the two to the truck and come back in for 2 more. I was too pissed to go back in!

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I'd have probably bought 16#'s !

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
If you are floating down the stream of life and there is a rock in the middle just go around it. Arguing with idiots does not change things
it just brings you down to their level.
Besides I lived in New Mexico. LOVE THE STATE. but if you are looking for sparkling intelligence weeelll I don't think that you have come to the right place.
popcorn

Alright.

I just bought a nose and glasses and I'm going back in!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
30 minutes ago they where F'ing idiots, but I've calmed down since then!

Here's the short version....

Go there to buy some Retumbo. They have 8 pounders and 1 pounders. They pull the 8 pounder out for me. I figure I'll never use that much as it's just for 1 hunting rifle so I told them to just give me 4 - 1 pounders. The clerk tells me NO, that they have a 2 container limit. I ask why and he says "because people are hoarding". Confused

So I say "I can buy 2 - 8 pounders?" to which he says "yes".

I told him, "I just want 4 pounds" to which he again says the company policy is NO, only 2 containers Mad

I then told him that it makes absolutely NO SENSE and that what I wanted was the opposite of "hoarding".

I tried to reason with him, "leading him to logic but you can't make people think".

I then told him, "So, it's fine to buy 2 - 8 pounders which is 16 pounds of powder, and not 4 - 1 pounders which is 4 pounds of powder?" to which he says yes, with a straight face I might add! bewildered

What the F%$K!?????!!!!

that's easy to explain.. Obama Voter..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr.pepper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
If you are floating down the stream of life and there is a rock in the middle just go around it. Arguing with idiots does not change things it just brings you down to their level.

Besides I lived in New Mexico. LOVE THE STATE. but if you are looking for sparkling intelligence weeelll I don't think that you have come to the right place. popcorn

I knew a girl who was from
New Mexico...great gal!
So glad she went back...Big Grin

''People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path.''

Posts: 184 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alright.

This is what I needed tonight.....made me laugh, thank you.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:

God Bless, Louis

rotflmo

I have done that, there, at that particular store, for ammo. The Management policys are non flexible and make some of the employees look like idiots. I have met a lot of them, Jobs are hard to come by and they repeat exactly what they are told. Sad for them and the consumer

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
....the clerk smiled as I bought 4 boxes of ammo at a time, went to the truck, came back in....untilI had 1000 rnds of .38 super...lol.

Thats one way of going around a rock.....

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year when ammo was hard to get a local dealer would go into the local Walmart on Thursdays when ammo came in and buy most of it. He killed 2 birds with one stone by removing competition and restocking his shelves cheaper then he could buy wholesale. After a couple of months the store started limiting how much one could buy.

I see both side of the problem.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand rationing when supply is limited. At our store, we had and a$$&(#@ come in and wanted to buy every primer we had and got pissed when we told him we were limiting to 400. We were trying to keep everyone shooting. However, in this case, the policy which allows 16# and not 4# is fairly rediculous. I do think that in New Mexico you have to not give the average worker too much to think about! A good friend of mine is from there and he has nothing nice to say about that average employee in stores like that.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
It is sure not getting that worked up over. I understand the base reasoning and agree that it is not logical as to total volume. I would just be thankful that you still have SW in your market and can get their good pricing on components locally. They went belly up here and I wish I had them back, warts and all. I would make a before and after lunch trip if I had too...wouldn't like it though.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New Mexico? EXTREMELY nice folks for the most part, and actually fairly intelligent when compared to some. Especially some in the South and Northeast....

Best gunshop I've EVER been inside (and I've been inside a LOT of 'em) was Ron Peterson's shop in Albuquerque on Central Avenue.

The stupidest people and the ugliest women I've ever seen were in Cleveland, OH. Some of those women were so ugly that just the sight of 'em would knock a buzzard off a gut-wagon, and whenever I'd say 'please' or 'thank you' the clerks would look at me like I was crazy!

I kinda wish I lived in New Mexico, when compared to some other areas....
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen.

I think this topic is worth talking more about. The analysis of the employees at the store and the population is generally correct but, like JD says, probably representative of any state like ours that is a welfare state.

The real problem here is the stupid policy.

If it's to stop "hoarding", it obviously fails miserably because of all the methods around it posted.

Next, the policy is like somthing staight out of Marx's ideology; rationing.

The purpose of my purchase was not to hoard but who cares if it was. Isn't the reason a business exists to produce a product, mark it up, and sell it at a profit? Why should they care or is it any of their concern WHO buys it and in what quantity? I should think they would be extatic if one person walked in and bought every bullet, primer, can of powder, piece of brass etc... in the store!

I have a business and would be thrilled if I sold all my stock every day to where I couldn't keep up with demand; it's the object of the game Man!

Anyone in business would classify this as anti-capitalist and anti-market oriented in its purpose.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alright.

R

I'd pay good money to see that! thanks for the laugh! animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One solution that has given me great personal satisfaction in the past is to talk to the highest-ranking person at the establishment, preferably the owner, and calmly explain just exactly WHY you will never trade there again and that you'll also encourage all your friends to shop somewhere else.

And then DO IT!

A letter to the editor of the local newspaper addressing the problem of hoarding, and the details of this particularly stupid method of dealing with it, may be satisfying to you and may be ultimately productive as well.

I also like the idea of marching back & forth in front of the store with a big sign explaining their stupidity. Reminds me of a local fellow who parked his new Chevy across the street from the dealership, after he had a big yellow LEMON painted on the quarter-panel!

The dealer was extremely irate, we onlookers were extremely amused, and the car's owner was ultimately extremely pleased when the dealer finally caved and fixed his car.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just the way they are! Here's my experience. Since sportsman's has moved into Arizona, I wanted to support them as much as possible, but, and now we have Bass Pro and Cabela's. I went to Sportsmans with my son last year to buy a new bass fishing outfit. I wanted a fairly expensive rod, and a good quality casting reel. We went to the fishing dept, where there were 6 or 8 employees having a discussion about who knows what, behind the counter. We walked up to the counter with a Fenwick Rod in hand, and stood there for 10 minutes being ignored by them all. I laid the rod against the counter, and one of them watched us walk out, and no one said a word. We went to Bass Pro, bought the outfit, saved some money, and was actually treated as if we were important customers.

Knuckleheads

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Some people do not have enough to do! Big Grin

Please carry on! popcorn

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:

Please carry on! popcorn

And you're just watching! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Why are you heaping continuing scorn on a min wage clerk?? I mean you've made the point that you don't agree with their policy and you've done your best to make the clerk feel like a real jerk. Folks have told you a solution so what more do you want??
Instead of pissing and moaning in cyberspace, why not write a letter to the CEO with your beef. He's the one that can change things.

wasbeeman,
You obviously missed this post previously in the thread. Go back and read it...

quote:
Posted by me....

The point is that the people setting the policy are idiots, not the clerk.

Does this make sense to anyone that customers can buy 16#s of powder but buying 3#s is not allowed because it is considered hoarding?

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:

Please carry on! popcorn

And you're just watching! rotflmo

Yes and btw I only buy in the larger containers----I use several powders in qty and when I work up a load I like to have enough powder and bullets to last the life of that tube. popcorn

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too.

But I've got enough powder at my house that if a fire broke out, I'd come back home to a big crater in the ground....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RC, you are right and I apologize.
My problem is an ongoing one in that folks will come in a room and vilify a product or company in the loudest and shrillest voice possible. And it will go on for several pages. Then someone asks: "Have you called the provider?" or "what did the big dog say when you talked to him?" or "have you written a letter to the CEO?" and almost invaribly the answer is "No!" or "those jerks aren't gonna do anything."
Not to preach, but as reloaders/shooters/comsumers, the only way we're gonna get things changed is by selective phone calls TO THE RIGHT PEOPLE or, better yet, letters to the big dog.
While a department supervisor or store manager doesn't want anyone above him to know that everything is sweetness and light, if you send a letter to the top, there will be ripples all the way down.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks wasbeeman,

I'll give it a try. It's nonsensical...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just come back in 20 minutes & hook up with another clerk. No need to argue, he's just following policy. It's like when your up for some TSA hassle, let them poke & prod some & be on your way.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished submitting a letter to the website. Hopefully someone who matters will read it.

I went in today and bought the other 2 pounds. The same checker checked me out. He said he thought I'd be back for it. We had a good chuckle.

quote:
I would just come back in 20 minutes & hook up with another clerk. No need to argue, he's just following policy.

This is the point of the thread.

The policy is illogical. I can buy a limit of 2 containers, regardless of size. This means I can buy 2-8# containers (16#'s) or 2-1# containers (2#'s). The reason stated for the policy is to stop "Hoarding".

Therefore, buying 16#'s of powder is not hoarding, but buying 3#'s IS?.... bewildered

The next point is that the policy doesn't stop a customer from buying 2#'s, going out to the car, then coming back in to buy 2 more....repeat.

I could buy all the powder they have with this method making the policy moot.

All the policy does is cause the customer an inconvenience, really F'ing pissing him off because to get what he wants he has to go through a whole bunch of F'ing Bullsh*t back and forth to the car or the next day to the SOB store to buy LESS Goddamn powder than the complete frigging idiot who made the stupid MutherF'ing rule allows!

Wheeew! There! I said it! How ya like them apples?!